Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2013 10:00

M1000e question

Hi,

I want to replace the Dell Pass-throuh switches with M6220 on mezzanine C
to get blade servers connected to Equallogic SAN through M6220.
Is blade switch hotswappable? what is the best practice here?
Is there any documentation on how to configure stack on M6220?

Thanks

• 

8.7K Posts

June 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi bdjebbar,

The I/O modules are hotswappable, however the servers may need to be rebooted in order to receive the settings from the switch. It will be a smoother transition if you can power off all of the servers and then swap the I/O modules, configure the switches through the CMC and then boot the blades. Here is the link to the configuration guide for the switch. http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powerconnect-m6220_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Page 143 describes how to configure stacking.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 19th, 2013 07:00

Note that if you want to use redundant connections to your Equallogic SAN, you'll need to get 2 M6220's and they need to be connected together in some way (redundant connections highly recommended).

You can do this via 2 of the 4 RJ45 ports on the M6220's, via optional CX4/stacking modules, or via Top-of-Rack switches that you want to dedicate to iSCSI.

In this last case each M6220 would connect to your ToR switch(es) with 2 or more connections with a port-channel setup.

21 Posts

June 19th, 2013 12:00

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunatelly, I can not power off all the servers at same time but am going to proceed like this:

Hotswap the I/O modules, Configure the switches and the stacking, and reboot the servers one by one.

Thank you very much.

No Events found!