Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2017 06:00

M520 in VRTX

We had a strange outage and now two of our M520 blades in the VRTX just show the iDrac Booting on the display on the VRTX. Whether this problem is related to the fact that the CMC is showing redundancy lost I'm not sure. I have tried reseating the CMC cards but the error remains. Is the firmware held on the SD card on the CMC? if it is what would happen if I swapped them?

CMC firmware 2.12

Main Board Firmware 2.21

October 20th, 2017 10:00

Daniel, Thanks for that.

Next question as I have 2 CMC's and it is running on CMC 2 if I power down the enclosure and remove CMC 1 and place CMC 2 in that slot should it recognise that I do not have dual CMC and think I just have a single CMC? Or should I try removing CMC 2 and bringing it up just with CMC 1 to aid troubleshooting?

This started after the enclosure was shutdown to add 2 PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapters into Slot 2 & 3. They appear to be working correctly and I have disconnected all power and reseated both CMC cards to make sure I didn't disturb one of them whilst installing the Network cards.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 20th, 2017 10:00

Hello

The CMC on the VRTX chassis and the iDRAC on the node both need to be functional for a node to power on. If you are having CMC issues then you should resolve that before troubleshooting the node power issue.

Is the firmware held on the SD card on the CMC?

No, the SD card is used to store information for features like FlexAddress.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

October 20th, 2017 13:00

I have 2 CMC's and it is running on CMC 2 if I power down the enclosure and remove CMC 1 and place CMC 2 in that slot should it recognise that I do not have dual CMC and think I just have a single CMC? Or should I try removing CMC 2 and bringing it up just with CMC 1 to aid troubleshooting?

You should be able to swap the CMCs around in almost any configuration without issue. Redundant CMCs are not required.

This started after the enclosure was shutdown to add 2 PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapters into Slot 2 & 3. They appear to be working correctly and I have disconnected all power and reseated both CMC cards to make sure I didn't disturb one of them whilst installing the Network cards.

There is a lot of shared infrastructure on the VRTX, like power. If this issue started after making a hardware change the first step should be to undo that hardware change.

Thanks

No Events found!