Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CL

2 Posts

April 16th, 2019 03:00

M610x blade server has error "The PCIe Exp is absent."

Hey all - got a small problem with an m610x blade that wont POST, with out the PCIe expander installed it boots fine but when it is installed i get "The PCIe Exp is absent." system boot error message in the m100e event log. 

Anyone have any idea's on where to start troubleshooting this? 

(I have had it apart and reseated all the cables from the mezz board to the expansion and also reseated the mezz expander.) 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 16th, 2019 06:00

Hello,

Reseating everything is definitely a good call. I'd recommend double checking that all the firmware is up to date and, if possible, testing known good. If you have another M610x available, it may be worthwhile to see if a known good expander also experiences this issue. It should help you isolate the problem to a particular piece of hardware.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 16th, 2019 11:00

I'd be looking at BIOS and iDRAC, those should be the only ones to really deal with all hardware, compared to targeted updates. It looks like the latest BIOS is 6.6 and the latest iDRAC is 3.85. 

Without being able to test further, we wouldn't be able to isolate between board and expander, but I'll see if I can't identify any other options.

April 16th, 2019 11:00

Hi Dell-DylanJ, Unfortunately I only have the one the x variant is quite hard to track down in the UK (at a decent price that is). Which firmware(s) would you recommend I update. The Chassis is running the latest version as of yesterday. Thanks, Matt
No Events found!