Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2014 11:00

M710HD will no longer boot properly

After applying a BIOS update task from OME the server restarted its self (as part of the update process, I believe) but will no longer boot any further than the dell logo right after the "configuring memory" screen. I can still connect to the iDRAC but no errors are shown. Is there somewhere I can look at logs? Is there anything I can try?

Out of 16 blades this is the only one I'm having issues with.

I've attached a screenshot of where it's stuck

Thanks

261 Posts

July 24th, 2014 15:00

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.  Try to shut down and drain the flea power first.  Secondly, there may be some conflicting data in the memory ROM left over from the old BIOS.  Clear the NVRAM to reset it and reconfigure BIOS if there are custom settings.

Please let us know how that goes.

15 Posts

July 28th, 2014 05:00

I changed the jumpers to clear the NVRAM, should I see any indication that it actually cleared? It's still stuck at the same spot

261 Posts

July 28th, 2014 09:00

There is a message indicating “NVRAM_CLR jumper detected” during the post. See below for the actual steps for the NVRAM clear.

Also, what version of the BIOS did you move from and what is the new version that was applied? It is possible that the BIOS is corrupted and a motherboard replacement is needed. But before making that assumption, you should rule out the possibly of a coincidental hardware fault. The proper procedure is the take the system to the standard minimum to post, and attempt the post again.

(M710HD Minimum to Post)

• One CPU in CPU slot 1
  • One Memory DIMM in slot A1 (alternate with least 2 different DIMMs)
  • iDRAC6 Enterprise Card
  • No Network Daughter Card (requires user to press to continue)
  • No Mezzanine Cards
  • No HDD Backplane
  • No HDDs

(NVRAM clear process)

1. Power off the blade 
2. Remove the blade from the chassis and open it. 
3. Locate the NVRAM_CLR jumper (on the motherboard, close to the backplane connector). 
4. Move the jumper to cover both pins. 
5. Close the cover and put the blade back in the chassis. 
6. Power the blade on. Watch the boot process on the screen. A message stating the NVRAM_CLR jumper detected should show up after the memory count. 
7. Power the server off. 
8. Remove the server from the chassis and open it. 
9. Move the NVRAM_CLR jumper back to its default position (covering only one pin). 
10. Close the cover and put the server back into the chassis. 
11. Power on the server. The NVRAM clear process is complete.

Please let us know how that goes.

No Events found!