Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2017 11:00

Memory Configuration/Installation Issue

Hello,

I have 3 memory cards (16 GB each) that I need to install in R710 Dell server. There is already 8 memory cards (each 1 GB) in the machine. I am seeing memory configuration error when I try to install the 16 GB memory cards.

I have looked at owners manual and trying my best to balance the configuration.

During my last configuration, I did not get any error but the total memory was showing as 48GB and not 48+8=56 GB

Can someone suggest how to place the cards in the right slot (A1,B1 etc,)?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 13th, 2017 18:00

Standard rules for servers running Xeon 5500 or 5600 series processors:

- both processors should have the same memory configuration

- each processor has 3 memory channels and each channel should have the same dimms inserted, or they should be completely empty (channel not used)

- the memory controller is in the processor, so the dimmslots attached to an empty socket won't be usable (typical if you have a dual processor capable server like the R710, but only have 1 processor in there)

- memory ranking counts too; I believe you can have a maximum of 8 ranks per memory channel

- you cannot mix UDIMMs and RDIMMs in the same server

Most likely you have a mix of UDIMMs (DDR3 RDIMMs don't go below 8GB) and RDIMMs (DDR3 UDIMMs don't go higher than 8GB).

If you have a single processor, you can put the 3 x 16GB RDIMMs in the first memory slot for each channel of the slots attached to the processor you have. This would give you 48GB RAM.

If you have two processors, you can put 1 16GB RDIMM in the first memory slot for each processor, giving you 32GB RAM.

August 13th, 2017 19:00

I have memory channels on both sides of the processor.

How do I achieve the 48+8=56 GB RAM figure?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

You can't.

Like I said; the 16GB DIMMs are RDIMMs, and the 1GB DIMMs are UDIMMs, but you cannot mix them in the same server.

I'd check the 16GB DIMMs and look for a brand a model. Once you confirm that these are RDIMMs, you can buy 3 x 8GB RDIMMs (8GB is the smallest DDR3 RDIMMs), and add those in the same memory channels as the 3 x 16GB RDIMMs.

No Events found!