Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 25th, 2015 10:00

Memory failure detected

Hi,

I have a R900 server with a memory problem. At some point the server rebooted and the informational LCD screen displayed this message:  E2110 MBE CRD A Dimm 6

I purchased a replacement DIMM and swapped it at the location specified in the message (A6). Upon boot up I now see the message in the attached screenshot. We opened the server several times and made sure that all the memory modules are properly seated. Right now this server is limping along with only half of its RAM being used. 

Any pointers at how to troubleshoot/fix this?

Thanks a lot. Alex.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 25th, 2015 12:00

Hello

At some point the server rebooted and the informational LCD screen displayed this message:  E2110 MBE CRD A Dimm 6

Was the system functional when you were receiving that error or was the LCD error all that you were getting?

You should review the hardware log for memory errors. The way that DIMMs are interlinked can cause DIMMs to report errors that are caused by other DIMMs. Troubleshooting DIMM issues typically involves moving DIMMs around multiple times to isolate the problem DIMM.

Find all memory errors in the hardware log. Also, remove the DIMM in A6 and check to see if the link training issue stops and allows some of the DIMMs on the C memory riser to function. Is the new DIMM exactly the same as the old DIMMs or did you purchase it from us under the same part number?

Thanks

25 Posts

September 25th, 2015 14:00

Thank you for getting back to me.

When we got the "E2110 MBE CRD A Dimm 6" message the system seemed to have rebooted and was stuck in the boot up process with the "Press F1 to continue, F5 to go to setup" message. After I pressed F1 it did boot up.

The new DIMM was purchased from a hardware vendor (not Dell) and was the exact part number of the other DIMMs in the system.

Thank you, Alex.

1 Message

November 13th, 2018 11:00

I am having the same issue on the same server model, PER900. This occurred after a memory upgrade. I maxed out the slots with 4gb RDIMM memory, same exact model number that was in the working system when I bought it. At first, when I loaded into BIOS, the video display became very glitchy then shutdown entirely. Clearing the NVRAM allowed me to again boot into BIOS but not past it to load my ESXi platform. Server initially boots with error: E2011 on LCD but after reboot allows me to access BIOS settings. In the BIOS System Settings, I can see all memory sticks however I receive the same error message as is in OP's attached photo. When I remove memory risers C & D, the system allows me to boot all the way to ESXi but I cannot start any of my virtual machines (which are 64 bit). ESXi tells me I am trying to run a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit machine and denies the operation.
I have removed all new memory, reverting back to original config, but that didn't fix the problem. I also tried booting with the minimum RAM requirements (1 stick in 1 riser), BIOS booted but not ESXi. 

PLEASE HELP!

No Events found!