Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2010 17:00

Need to wipe data from PowerEdge 2900 and 1900 Machines

Hello -

I "inherited" two PowerEdge 2900 servers and a PowerEdge 1900 server from my business, and plan to sell them to a third party.  They are all running Microsoft Exchange 2003.  I would like to wipe all of my company's data from the hard drives before doing so, however.   I am pretty computer-savvy for a "civilian" but nowhere near the knowledge level that an IT person would be at.  Is there a fairly basic way to erase the data?  If so, I would very much appreciate some guidance.  Someone told me that there was a way to wipe out the data when one reboots the servers, but I cannot figure out how that would work.  I would be happy to provide any other information that would be useful.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Debbie K.

9.3K Posts

April 27th, 2010 07:00

Get DBaN and boot to the CD. I would think it will have support for the PERC5/6 cards, so it'll be able to recognize the virtual disks. You then use that to 'nuke' the virtual disks to wipe the data.

An alternative is to go into the PERC bios, delete the virtual disks, then create a raid 0 and let this do a full initialization. After that has finished (could take several hours depending on the size and speed of the drives in the server), you destroy the raid 0 and create a raid 5 and let that initialize, after that you can do a raid 0 again. You keep going back and forth a few times (I'm no expert, so don't take my word for it, but if memory serves, when using data-wiping software, I think they wipe 7 times to be considered "DoD" safe/secure).

2 Posts

April 27th, 2010 11:00

Thank you very much for your help!

No Events found!