Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2018 09:00

New Server 2016 install stuck on Windows Logo

PowerEdge R7415
AMD EPYC 7351P
PERC H740P Mini
RAID1 500GB SSD

Trying to install Server 2016 on new Dell server. Used iDRAC virtual media and Lifecycle controller to deploy OS which completes without error.

After install system reboots to blue Windows logo with black background and stays. Tried reinstall, but same issue. Left at the logo overnight.

What should I do next?

9 Posts

June 26th, 2018 07:00

It was a driver issue. Using LCC deploy OS always resulted in the above problem because it includes the drivers during install.

The fix was install without LCC and manually add RAID drivers during install. This allowed me to finish the install successfully and boot Server 2016.

I assume the problem driver was the Matrox video driver due to the Windows logo being cut in half when it hung.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 20th, 2018 12:00

Hello

It sounds like a driver issue. If you have installed or attached any hardware to the system then I suggest disconnecting/removing it. It can be anything from a PCIe card to a thumb drive.

Thanks

6 Posts

October 5th, 2018 12:00

I am having the exact same issue that you described. Can you describe how you got past it? What drivers did you use, where did you get them, how did you load them into the installation? Thanks.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2018 14:00

Ok,

So after trying multiple things, here what worked: download the video Matrix driver from Dell (this is the one for my server, check your particular model):

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=M3GR4&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-t320

***during server 2016 install, press the button "load drivers" at the screen where you are picking what drive to install the operating system on and select the appropriate folder where you have video driver saved (I would recommend a USB drive). Pick the matrox video driver. After that everything went buttery smooth.

The frustrating thing is that this is a very simple issue to have a workaround, yet there is no mention anywhere in the Dell tech support documents, even though quite a number of 12th generation servers that have been certified as compatible with Server 2016 (I do remember somewhere in some obscure document a mention that the video card is an issue with server 2016, but there was no advice given). Better yet, Dell should just make Server 2016 an option in the lifecycle controller OS deployment ->it would make life easier for everyone since most other drivers are inbox with the server 2016 installation media. As well, check the device manager after install (right click on "this pc" on the desktop and select properties, then look in the upper left corner -> I had to manually install a number of drivers from windows update ->just right click on any devices that server 2016 did not recognize and pick update driver.

Cheers. 

9 Posts

October 8th, 2018 04:00

I ended up installing without any Dell drivers, then once Windows was up I installed all drivers manually from Dell site except the Matrox video driver

August 13th, 2020 23:00

This is pretty much what is happening to me, I tried million things and nothing, it gets stuck in the windows logo llc, installing from os, installing from USB, it's always the same thing I really need help already disabled virtualization, disabled raid controller, disabled pcie) omg I don't know what to do at this point, mine is a r6515 with almost the same characteristics and raid controller, I don't know what to do now. 

• 

2.2K Posts

August 14th, 2020 02:00

Hello there,
Please here https://dell.to/30VHJe3 2016? Lang = en follow article I think it might help with W2K16 stuck on Windows logo during installation.
let us know if it helped

February 1st, 2021 14:00

I know, and dell didnt help me kinda sad, but technically how i fixed was turning off the acpi setting 2xapic or something like that in the bios

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

February 4th, 2021 00:00

Hello @davaadorj

You might want to check this articles:

Windows Server support and installation instructions for the AMD EPYC 7xx2 series of processors: https://dell.to/3oO9ei8

PowerEdge 14th Generation Servers running Windows Server encounter BSOD when installing Chipset Drivers with X2APIC enabled in system BIOS: https://dell.to/3pRLYRO

Hope this helps.

Regards.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2021 00:00

i have new dell server r6525. Installing windows server 2016 and windows logo stuck.

Help me

3 Posts

July 25th, 2021 20:00

I was stuck at this point too and got another solution.

After 6 hours of fruitless attempts, reboots, configuration changes, and TONS of reading, I finally landed at a Lenovo web page that finally pointed me in the right direction.

In my case, it's an R7515 server, but I'm pretty sure this applies to the 7415 as well:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/windows-server-support-installation-for-amd-role-family-processor

"Windows Server 2016

Windows Server 2016 supports all AMD EPYC processors. The support is limited to a maximum of 255 logical processors. Windows Server 2016 doesn't support the x2APIC mode. For AMD EPYC 7002 and 7003 series processors, disable the x2APIC mode and IOMMU in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS). For dual processor servers using 64 core AMD EPYC 7002 or 64 core 7003 Series Processors SKUs, make sure SMT is also disabled in the BIOS."

The IOMMU change did the trick for me.

I really wish it were more straightforward to install software on Dell's servers or, at the very least, that actual instructions were available somewhere that where thorough and include ALL the settings one might have to change in order to have an experience similar to what countless videos and guides present. Especially because this is the sort of thing most users do maybe once every 2 or 3 years and there's no way for us to become experienced, let alone experts in this.

Hope this helps someone.

Alex

No Events found!