Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2016 17:00

'No Boot Device Available' - Dell R510 with RAID5

Hi all,

I'm getting a 'no boot device available error' just after finishing a successful firmware update using a bootable (USB) ISO built off the Dell Repository Manager catalog for the R510.

I just set up RAID 5 so know that all 4 15K SAS disks are working (i.e. they were visible during the RAID5 setup process), and the machine sees the 1 virtual drive at the end of POST sequence.

The BIOS boot options (via F11) present the virtual disk as 'Perc 6/i', in addition to the optical disk, and this is set at the first location in the sequence.

I have not installed the OS, and am relatively new at this.

I also do not have an IDRAC express or IDRAC so have not been able to access the lifecycle controller interface - or at least i think this is the reason.

Am i missing something obvious? Suggestions appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 20th, 2016 17:00

If you have not installed an OS and do not have other bootable media in the system (CD/DVD, USB, PXE, etc.), then a "no boot device" message is completely normal.

6 Posts

November 20th, 2016 18:00

theflash1931,

Thanks for the reply.

Assuming this was the case, i went ahead and tried to install the OS using the "system services" GUI (F10), following the the steps under install OS.

I burned and insterted a CENTOS 7.0 OS DVD (from the CENTOS site), selected CENTOS in the GUI, left the "catalog field" blank (not knowing what to put), and got an error "can't find the 'catalog file'".

I don't see the lifecyle controller interface, and assume this is because i don't have an idrac (express of enterprise) installed.

Any suggestions on next steps are appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 20th, 2016 22:00

As far as I can tell, only RHEL 5/6 is supported by Dell, so you are on your own with any CentOS or RHEL 7 versions, AND you will need to skip the "system services" options for installation and attempt to install directly from the OS media.

No Events found!