Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 09:00

PCIE SSD adapter card for PER6415

I've got a PER6415 running VMware ESXI 6.5 on USB drive. We want to upgrade to ESXi 7.0 but it does not support USB or SD cards anymore so we need to move it to a more persistent storage (SSD and so forth). I have 6 used front bay slots with 2.5" SAS drives and 2 remaining slots that I dont want to use.

My plan is to clone the existing ESXi image from he USB drive to an SSD drive and then attach to a PCIE SSD adapter. 

Is this possible and are there any specific PCIE SSD adapter that is bootable?

• 

3.7K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 13:00

Hello amuka79,

The BOSS  (Boot Optimized Storage Solution) card is recommended for hypervisor:

Part# 403-BBUC - BOSS controller card, low profile, Customer Kit

(I don't think it comes with the m.2 drives you will also need to purchase. Please check with sales.)

BOSS-S1 User's Guide

BOSS-S1 is a simple RAID solution card designed specifically for booting a server's operating system. The card supports up to

two 6 Gbps M.2 SATA drives.

https://dell.to/3r8jcOU

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 21:00

@Dell -Charles R 

yes.. for the he boss-1 customer kit you need to buy the M.2 extra.

1x 403-BCHD = BOSS-1 Full Profile

2x 400-ASDQ = 240GB SATA M.2

Regards,
Joerg

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 21:00

ESXi 7 supports USB and SD cards as boot drive as well as vSphere 8. For the later one the "requirements" are liftet up so  i expect that we see BOSS or simple RAID1 disk based solutions in the feature.

VMware have roleback the changes they made in usb driver within 7.0.2. You have so make some changes like redirection of syslog, scratch disk and enabling of the RamDisk. It depends if you upgrade from 6.7 or making a fresh new install of 7.x.

Regards
Joerg

No Events found!