Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2009 11:00

PE 1800 PSU Fan Does Not Turn Off When Shut Down

The PSU fan in my PowerEdge 1800 does not turn off when I shut down the computer.  The fan stays on indefinitely and will only turn off if I unplug the server.  Here are the troubleshooting steps I have taken:

1. I have updated the server with all firmware updates and patches. 

2. The issue does not appear to be temperature related since this even occurs in cold weather.

3. I have tried to unplug the server, wait several hours and then plug the server back in (without actually switching on the server).  Unfortunately, the PS fan immediately starts as soon as I give it power.

4. The problem is not OS related since I wiped the data from the server and the problem still persists (I am assigning this server to a different project so I was able to wipe the data).

The problem has occurred since I got the server from Dell (so it is not a new issue).  Unfortunately I am out of my support contract with Dell.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

38 Posts

April 26th, 2009 21:00

i have a Dell PE1800 as well and the PSU behaves exactly as you describe. I suspect this is "intended" functionality and not a "problem" as the server has always behaved this way since I got mine. I did have a PSU fail on me when I unplugged the power cord to completely shut down the system.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2009 22:00

Thanks for responding bmasuda. That is really odd that the PSU fan would remain on while shut down.  I found that once the PSU is disconnected from the main 24 pin connector, the fan does become a little quieter, but still does not turn off completely.

Can anyone else with a PE1800 confirm whether their PSU fan remains on when they shut it down?  Or, is it just bmasuda and I?

Thanks.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2009 16:00

Thanks guys, thought my server was wierd, but it behaves exactly the same way, a bit annoying really!

No Events found!