Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2012 06:00

PE 2900 PDB HW failure confirmation

As my subject reads I'm interested in confirming if the Power Distribution Board on a PE 2900 has failed and is thus the source of my power issue with this particular server.  The server will not power up at all and I've confirmed that the PSUs are not the cause, as the PDB is next in line as a possible logical point of failure it is next on the list to be checked.  I don't have another working PDB to switch out the PDB in question with so I curious what my options are.  Can I bypass the PDB all together going from my PSU to the servers MB to confirm my problem indeed lies with a PDB hardware failure?  I'm thinking maybe I use a multimeter to test the voltage of the PDB.   Any and all thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

44 Posts

February 12th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

The PDB is required for the motherboard to power up, so since you can't bypass that to the PSU directly, I would say there's no accurate way to determine if the component is faulty unless you can actually swap it over to another machine for testing. How did you rule out the PSU status in the first place?

Best regards,

DC Lim

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Please follow @DellCaresPro on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DellCaresPro

19 Posts

February 13th, 2012 05:00

I swapped the PSU's from the server having the problem with known working PSUs and vice versa.  To add to my original post both PSU's have  the "power supply fault LED" middle LED on and the top LED "PSU operation" is NOT lit.  The servers front LED screen does light up with power plugged into the server but I get nothing when pushing the power.  So logically my first assumption is the PDB is the culprit.  Any thoughts?

19 Posts

February 13th, 2012 12:00

Update :  I've completed taken apart and reseated all  components of this server.  When I have AC to the PSU's I do see the MB LED on.  I'm now thinking this may conclude that the PDB has NOT malfunctioned which would bring me squarely back to zero unfortunately.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

No Events found!