Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2014 09:00

PE 320 Performance on Server 2012

Quick Summary:

Have multiple Dell PE320 servers (both tower and rack) deployed with Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2.

Servers experience a severe performance issue at random intervals (between a few weeks and a month).  CPU usage reports 100% in Windows, although total of running processes is near 20%.   Deferred Procedure Calls show between 3% and 5%.  Services in Windows begin to crash, due to startup timeouts.

Typically, an update of various firmwares (idrac, lifecycle, perc) solve the issue - only to have it repeat again.

This past Friday, it occured the second time on a brand new installation.   Updating of the firmware failed and bricked the iDRAC.   New motherboard on the way Monday.

Last night, while trying to finish up a new deployment;  a new R320 begin exhibiting the same issues.  Recently I realized that all of these servers in question are using USB drives for backup.    Figuring the USB driver may be the issue, I disabled and performed a reboot.

I'm posting this while waiting for it to get to a point to respond to RDP.

These are a mix of configurations:

a:  T320, 6 core 2.0Ghz cpu, 24GB RAM (8x3G).  PERC H310/RAID 1.  SATA drives.

b:  T320, 6 core v2 2.50Ghz, 24GB RAM (8x3G).  PERC H710p/RAID5.  N-SAS drives.

c:  T320, 6 core v2 2.50Ghz, 24GB RAM (8x3G).  PERC H710p/RAID5. SAS drives with 160GB Cachecade.

I have an ongoing ticket, for "B" (the one with a new motherboard on the way) - but this seems way beyond coincidental.   Am I missing something on these deployments?

21 Posts

May 18th, 2014 14:00

So I tracked the slow performance down on "C";  turns out that USBPORT.SYS was causing very high DPC's and latency.

Turned off USB ports in BIOS, and server is running like you'd expect.

USB Devices = Keyboard, Mouse, and a Toshiba USB 3.0 External HDD.

Device Manager did show an unknown USB device in the list, yet keyboard, mouse and hard drive had successfully loaded drivers already.   Perhaps the unknown was the Internal USB port?

No Events found!