Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 02:00

PE 730: PSU error on boot

Hello,

I'm having a problem with one of our PowerEdge 730 servers. When I'm rebooting the server, I sometimes get the error: 

"PWR1006: The system halted because system power exceeds capacity".

The LED display then becomes red and the server doesn't boot and is not available via iDRAC. I have to wait for a few moments/minutes, then iDRAC is available again and I can boot the server without any issues afterwards.

There are two 750W PSUs (PN: 0V1YJ6A00) installed and the power consumption on this machine is far from any limits (like 150W on average).

Anybody got any ideas on that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 10:00

Hello.

The PWR1006 error further indicates that the available power output is not enough to sustain your current system configuration. If your system has fully populated with PCIe cards and hard drives, then you might consider upgrading your power  to 1100 AC  or higher power supplies (part number: W12Y2); else reduce on the system power consumption.

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 22:00

Hi Robert,

I should have mentioned that we have three servers with the exact same configuration (no PCIe cards, 7 hard drives) and only this one has the problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 09:00

What is the status of the power supply within OMSA or iDRAC? Use either OMSA or the iDRAC to clear the System Event Logs (SEL) and reboot the server and see whether you still get the alert. It could just be a false alert.

No Events found!