Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 27th, 2018 06:00

PE T130 - difference between "SATA 6Gbps" and "SATA Entry" drives?

I'm specing out an entry-level T130 server for a potential client.

In the hard drive section I've noticed a substantial difference in price between the "1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gbps 3.5in cabled hard drive" and the "1TB 7.2K RPM SATA Entry 3.5in cabled hard drive," but can't find any actual explanation of the difference. What does the 'entry' mean compared to 6Gbps? When configuring, the only difference I've seen is that I have to select the 'no RAID' option with the 'entry' drives.

If I can save $400 on 4 drives and just have to spend 30 seconds creating the RAID array, I'll happily do it!

I tried to jump on a chat with Dell while configuring and although I've been connected to Kevin_H (Session ID: 84271338) for the past 25 mins, Kevin hasn't chatted once. (yes, I already posed the above question) 

• 

6.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

Hello

The entry level drive is a cost effective option. It is a drive that is primarily used on our consumer and workstation systems. Both drives are capable of 6Gb/s. The main differences between the two are 128MB versus 64MB of cache, 512 native versus 512 emulated, and the platter configuration within the drive.

Because of the differences, the enterprise drive should perform better and have more reliability than the entry drive. The two drives are based on the below model numbers, but the version of the drive Seagate or any other manufacturer makes for us may differ. These Seagate models are similar, they are not the same.

Entry: ST1000DM003
Standard: ST1000NM0033

Thanks

14 Posts

May 5th, 2018 18:00

Thanks Daniel.

Are the entry drive compatible with RAID array's on the PERC H330? I don't mind building the RAID myself I just want to make sure it will work.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 7th, 2018 09:00

Yes, if you change the chassis option from embedded SATA to the normal chassis you can select an H330 RAID controller. If you expand the hard drive list you will see the same entry level drive listed. There are more hard drive options when you select an H300 because it supports SAS and SATA.

Thanks

No Events found!