Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

5 Posts

June 6th, 2018 09:00

PE T440 VMWare ESXi 6.5 host becomes unreachable

I have a brand new T440 running ESXi 6.5u2 (Dell Optimized Image).  The server was originally installed with ESXi 6.5u1 (non-dell optimized).  I did an in place upgrade to 6.5u2 Dell Optimized Image after issues started occurring, in an attempt to see if that would resolve some of the issues.

I was able to create and set up my client VMs (Windows Server 2016) with no issues at all. 

What seems to be happening is that the ESXi web console/management interface becomes completely unreachable at the host IP address after a short time (30 minutes or so) after power on.   I enabled SSH access to the host as a test to see if that stays up after the web console is lost, but it seems the ESXi management host is refusing all network connections. 

The only way I have been able to reestablish connection to the ESXi management host is to restart the management network directly from the host's ESXi shell.  The server is in a remote location and I have no easy way to access the shell to restart the management network every time I need to work on the host.  Even after restarting the management network, the access stops working fairly soon after.

Has anyone come across this?  I am running out of ideas to try.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 6th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Is the management network on the same subnet as other devices? there could be something cause a broadcast storm and making the network unavailable. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003409

5 Posts

June 6th, 2018 12:00

Currently we have a flat network at that location.  Everything is on the same subnet, and both management traffic and client traffic are using the same NIC.  The client stays completely accessible and is working normally even though all attempts to connect to the ESXi management result in 'Connection Refused' errors.  I haven't seen evidence of a broadcast storm, but I will poke around my router and switch logs to see if there are any major traffic issues, but so far no end users or client VMs are effected.

5 Posts

June 7th, 2018 11:00

Looked through router and switch logs, not seeing any issues anywhere else.  For whatever reason, ESXi just likes to start refusing all requests within the first hour of being restarted.  I can ping the interface, and it shows it is alive, but is actively refusing all other requests.

1 Message

July 5th, 2018 13:00

We have exactly the same issue. Not sure if this is a Dell hardware issue, or a VMWare software issue. Anybody have any idea?

7 Posts

July 6th, 2018 07:00

Looks like I'm having similar issue with an implace upgrade from 6.0 u3 to 6.5 u2. I used dell media VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0.update02-8294253.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A00.iso. I can ping the management interface but when I try to reconnect the host it refuse. even if I try to add the host on another vcenter the same error occur. As it's a production host I'm thinking about reinstalling with dellcustomized 6.5 U1 instead. Suspecting something with the iso, but only speculate on that I can't confirm that yet. Except that we are using Dell R720 I bit older

5 Posts

July 6th, 2018 08:00

I just did a full reinstall of VMWare 6.5u2 (Dell custom iso) on that server - new blank sd cards, fresh install and import of the child vms.  Still seeing the same issue though connecting to the host.  I wonder if it is an issue with VMware 6.5?  You said you were on 6.0u3 and did not have this issue?

7 Posts

July 6th, 2018 09:00

I've re-install over my previous installation with iso found on Dell website initial built of vmware 6.5 (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-5310538.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A03.iso)

After the installation all was good. I will then use my update manager to install Update 2 instead of running the upgrade from my Update manager. I was a bit concern about the 6.5 U1 install media on the Dell website as the "modified date" was on June 27 or 28 didn't want to get another buggy iso so i took initial release as I said earlier. 

So far my cluster node is almost back on track. I will test the U1 this afternoon.... well it's Friday and last day before 1 week vacation... maybe a bad idea to experiment.

7 Posts

July 6th, 2018 10:00

No, I have the issue upgrading from 6.0 u3 to 6.5 u2. 

I just re-install with dell customized 6.5 initial release and juste worked fine :VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-5310538.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A03.iso

7 Posts

looks like my replay are getting deleted for **bleep** reason .....

7 Posts

it's anoying. 

After my first post, I've install over my previous fail migration from 6.0 u3 to 6.5 u2. 

I used VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-5310538.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A03.iso instead of the 6.5 U2 on the dell web site and all back to normal. 

Suspecting media customization error on dell side

5 Posts

July 7th, 2018 09:00

Good find.  I am going to work with my customer to see if I can have some more down time there to roll back to the straight 6.5 dell custom iso.  I will update here once I roll it back and let you know if that is a good fix for now.

1 Message

January 4th, 2019 05:00

Hello, my experience is nearly the same. Every Image from ESXi 6.5u1 to ESXi6.5u2 A07 is "corrupted" Only the Image 6.5 A03 is installable and the use of the web-ui is possible. What we find out is that the problem seems to be with the use of Windows 10?!!?? On Windows 7 Client with the newest Firefox it is possible to connect to the web-ui I need a solution. 4 Days i install and re-install images. What we see is a problem in the tcp/ssl connection. On our Firewall we can see dropped packets because of reply to a wrong port.
No Events found!