Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2017 13:00

PE T710 memory is configured but not usable

Hi.  I moved office recently and when I plugged my server back in I received the "memory is configured but not usable" error on the message LCD on the front of the server and the server will not even boot to the BIOS. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 13th, 2017 16:00

Hello

If the issue started after moving the server then something likely came loose in transit. Since you are receiving memory errors I would start by reseating the memory. Make sure all of the memory is fully seated in the slot. If the issue persists then continue checking all hardware and cable connections.

Thanks

5 Posts

October 17th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  I reseated everything and it is now saying the memory is not detected. 

• 

6.2K Posts

October 18th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the reply.  I reseated everything and it is now saying the memory is not detected. 

Something may have been damaged. What you are experiencing is a no POST situation. Since you are getting memory errors you can focus your troubleshooting on the memory and CPU, but if you are not able to correct the problem by swapping or reseating those devices you will need to expand troubleshooting to the other hardware. Here is an article on how to troubleshoot a no POST situation:

www.dell.com/support/article/sln111201/

Thanks

5 Posts

October 18th, 2017 12:00

I set the NVRAM jumper to the clear position, turned the server on, "no memory" error on the lcd display on the front of the server.  Set the NVRAM jumper back to normal, installed new 16GB memory stick, booted, and "memory is configured but not usable" message on lcd display.  Server NEVER makes it to POST.

5 Posts

October 18th, 2017 13:00

It is a single CPU configuration only.  Should I move the CPU and RAM to the vacant CPU and RAM section on the MB?

I thought if I took all the RAM out it would at least go to POST so I can enter the BIOS, but it never sends a signal to the monitor for anything no matter what I try.  I have tried multiple monitors and multiple power outlets.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 18th, 2017 13:00

If you have a dual CPU configuration you can take it down to a single CPU for testing. The memory controller is on the CPU. If the issue persists after swapping memory and CPU then continue with the troubleshooting article steps of taking the system to minimum-to-POST. If the issue persists at minimum-to-POST then you will need to replace one of the remaining hardware components. If you rule out a memory or CPU issue then the next likely component would be the system board.

Make sure to test with a different power cable and outlet, don't overlook the simple components.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

October 18th, 2017 17:00

Should I move the CPU and RAM to the vacant CPU and RAM section on the MB?

No, CPU and memory must be populated in slot 1 and the A lane before anything can be populated in CPU slot 2 or the B memory lane.

I thought if I took all the RAM out it would at least go to POST

One DIMM in slot A1 is required for POST.

Thanks

5 Posts

October 18th, 2017 17:00

Ok, thanks for the info.  I am guessing that my MB is shot then :-(

No Events found!