Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2013 13:00

PE1850 screen flicker with Ubuntu and CentOS

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums so if this question is in the wrong section please let me know.

I have tried installing both Ubuntu 12.04 and CentOS 6.3 (both 64bit) on a PowerEdge 1850 with 16Gb of RAM and both installations went well apart from the fact that every 12 seconds or so the screen flickers (LCD monitor). I have tried various LCD monitors with the same result. I hasten to add that these two distros were separate installations and not installed at the same time !

Initially I though it may have been the screen refresh rate but when I changed it to 75Hz I lost the display alltogether. I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux installations so perhaps I'm missing something obvious. The screen flicker doesn't happen under Windows 7 which I installed to see if the problem remained.

Server specs as follows...

PE1850

2 x 3.4GHz CPU's

16Gb RAM

2 x 73Gb HDD's

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

March 8th, 2013 14:00

i dont know if this will help, but my experience with the 1850 is that some OSes can detect that the system is capable of higher refresh rates/ resolutions than what the monitors can really handle, and it raises the levels of one or both to levels that are not good for the monitor. There should be a spot in Linux where you can set the refresh rate to 60hz and the resolution to 1024x768 (to start with).

March 8th, 2013 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The monitor shows the refresh rate as being at 60Hz  but I'll need to check the resolution in the morning (UK time) and I'll let you know if this cures the problem

Many thanks,

Graham

March 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi again,

Just checked the video settings and they were set at 1024x768 with a refresh rate of 60Hz and the flickering is still continuing approximately every 12 seconds.

I've checked the Dell website to see if there is an updated video driver for Linux but whilst there is an updated driver for Windows there is nothing for Linux so I'm not able to update the video driver unless there is something within both CentOS and Ubuntu that will allow me to cure this flickering.

Graham

No Events found!