Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2011 16:00

PE2900 Adding Second CPU

Hello, we have had a PE2900 that came with a single proc and a PE1950 that came with 2 procs. The procs in the 1950 are much better than the 2900, and so I called our Dell reps and asked if we could just move the procs over from the 1950 to the 2900. They said that we could, so I ordered a second heatsink for the 2900 and moved the procs over. Once in place, I get a error code, E1410 CPU 2 IERR. When I only have 1 proc from the 1950 in, it works great, but it's when I add the second proc from the 1950 that I get the error and can't boot. Is there anything I need to do for it to accept the second proc? Jumpers or anything like that? 

Thanks. -Jason

802 Posts

December 16th, 2011 17:00

You need to make sure you have the current BIOS installed.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Have you tried switching the processor positions? Try moving the processor from slot 1 to slot 2 in order to isolate the issue.

Are both processors allowing the server to boot in slot 1 if you try them one at a time?  That would verify that the processors are working properly.  

Are there any noticeable bent pins on the slot or processors?

Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

December 19th, 2011 08:00

Willy, thank you very much for replying to my message. I will try both procs in slot 1 today when I'm able to take down the machine. There didn't appear to be any bent pins on the mobo at all, and there aren't any pins on the procs.

Am I right in assuming that if I have a single proc in slot 2 that it won't boot? If you have a single proc, does it have to be in slot 1?

Thanks again. -Jason

802 Posts

December 19th, 2011 09:00

Jason,

Yes, with a single processor it will need to be in slot 1 in order to boot properly.

Please follow @DellProSupport on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DellProSupport

December 19th, 2011 16:00

I believe the BIOS update did the trick! They both work great now.

Thanks for the help. -Jason

No Events found!