Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2013 09:00

PE850, Win7x64 or 2008r2 & video card driver

I have everything else working on my PE850 just fine, just stuck with standard vga adapter for video card drivers. I see the card is a XGI Volari Z7, however i am not able to find applicable drivers for this OS. Anyone had any luck with them, & if so which driver version did you use & where did you get it from?

Thanks!

43 Posts

July 29th, 2013 12:00

Since no one here @ the dell community could answer, I checked out spiceworks - community.spiceworks.com/.../363855-dell-poweredge-850-video-card-drivers

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I don't remember seeing this question, but the first result of a quick google search for XGI Volari Z7 has the official driver from StarTech:
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/Sound-Cards-Video-Cards/XGI-Volari-Z7-16-MB-PCI-VGA-Video-Adapter-Card~PCIVGAV7

43 Posts

I tried a bunch of different sets of drivers in googling around, Dell ones obviously didnt work, none of the others did either. Even SiS's official failed to install en.wikipedia.org/.../XGI_Technology but the ones mentioned in the spiceworks post are running just fine.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 29th, 2013 14:00

There is no reason the Dell drivers would work - they are for 2000/2003.

2008R2 is supported by Dell on the 850, and the fact that they do not list a "needed" driver usually means that the OS maintains support for that device.  In this case, it is not "native" to 2008R2, but is available through Microsoft Update post-install:

catalog.update.microsoft.com/.../Search.aspx

43 Posts

July 29th, 2013 14:00

& yes, i did windows update, it found nothing (if it had, there would have been no need for this thread in the first place). The "native" driver was "standard vga driver", which yes, "worked", it was very slow. While obviously no speed demon of a chip to begin with, the current drivers are faster, & offer more resolution options. The reason I mentioned the dell ones, is to fend off the "did you even TRY the dell drivers??!??!" type responses, guess I should have figured there would be RTFM style responses on the other side as well. I'll admit I did not hit up the catalog URL you provided, but the ones listed there are still only v1.13, where the ones I have installed now are XGI Volari Z7 v1.14.04_Dell.

So how come no one bothered to respond until after this thread was marked answered? Kinda silly :).

43 Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

I'll check the Microsoft Update catalog next time as well. One would think if it is in the Microsoft Update catalog for download, that it would be provided in the manual windows update (or wsus) as some drivers already are....

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

Not Windows Update - Microsoft Update.

"So how come no one bothered to respond until after this thread was marked answered? Kinda silly :)."

It's not a matter of having been answered or not - we get no notifications when an answer is selected or suggested - only replies and initial posts, and Dell's forums do not give a good/convenient way to monitor unanswered threads.  I don't remember seeing the original notification for this question (possible I just missed it - I am also employed and a full-time student), so when you replied to it, I saw that one.

Take care.

No Events found!