Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

46 Posts

May 20th, 2019 12:00

PERC H330 RAID 5 Performance

We own a PowerEdge T140 with 64Gb and a Dell PERC H330 disk controller.  I was recently was able to re-use a 4Tb enterprise drive which I installed in the T140 and connected to the H330.  When I turned on the server, it immediately recognized the "new" hard drive.  I currently have 4 hard drives connected to the H330: one 2Tb drive and three 4Tb drives.  Currently each hard drive is configured as a standalone GPT disk.

I am thinking about creating a RAID 5 virtual disk on the H330 using the three 4Tb drives.  My concern is that the H330 does not have a cache so the performance (especially calculating and writing the parity stripe) may result in lower performance for the disks compared to the current configuration.  If anyone has used the H330 in a RAID 5 virtual disk, please provide feedback or let me know what you think I should do (leave it as is, RAID 5, or something else).  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2019 12:00

Anything but RAID 5.

RAID 5 on these controllers is horrible.
RAID 5 in general is a bad idea and should not be used at all, but especially with disks 1TB or larger.

RAID 1 is the only one that makes sense with your configuration.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2019 13:00

It does not. I don't think any LSI-based controllers support 1E as a default level (which is likely what you will see on OEM implementations) ... I believe you need to flash them with the "IT firmware" (which isn't available on all LSI models either) to get access to some advanced functionality (possibly for stability reasons, etc.).

46 Posts

May 20th, 2019 13:00

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know if the H330 supports RAID 1E?

46 Posts

May 20th, 2019 14:00

Once again, thanks for your help.  Based on your advice, I should leave the configuration as is.  It is not worth it to me at this time to purchase the H730P controller.

No Events found!