Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2018 04:00

PERC H710P SSD RAID10 or RAID1?

Hi,

Under normal circumstances it may be an obvious choice to recommend RAID 10 over RAID 1 if possible, but I’m after some advice/recommendations on which of the two options makes more sense on a H710P:

1) 4 x 480GB SSD in RAID10

2) 2 x 960GB SSD in RAID1

As I understand it (please let me know if I’m wrong), RAID10 has the benefit of increased read and write speeds, but does not offer an advantage in terms of resilience over RAID1? So my question is that, given the access speeds of SSD, does a RAID10 SSD array on a H710P significantly out perform a RAID 1 SSD array?

This will be for a staging store for a ESXi server, where I’ll be reproducing firewall environments, if that helps any advice.

Thanks,

Dave

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 29th, 2018 18:00

"As I understand it (please let me know if I’m wrong), RAID10 has the benefit of increased read and write speeds"

True, but the writes still have a delay as raid 1, the controller cache relieves most of it. It will show up if you server is heavily utilized, unlikely users would know it.

", but does not offer an advantage in terms of resilience over RAID1?"

Raid 1 can only lose 1 drive no matter what . Raid 10 can lose 1 drive, a 50-50 chance of losing a second. In a 4 drive raid 10, you have 2 striped pairs. If one stripe loses both drives your OK. If  each striped pair loses a drive your toast. The more paired drives in a raid 10, the less chance of multiple drive failures causing a failed drive. I firmly believe in Murphy's law, I  do not count on losing more then 1 drive at a time.

So, given the access speeds of SSD, does a RAID10 SSD array on a H710P significantly out perform a RAID 1 SSD array?

It should. as most general servers read 80% and write 20%, you DB could be different but reads are prominent; reads being much faster  on a raid10. Also rebuilds, backups will be faster. Go with the raid 10, with a hotspare, and at least a spare you store away.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

April 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and it makes sense. I thuink I was wondering whether the bandwidth of the H710P would be saturated by the RAID 1 SSD array, making the read performance benefits of RAID 10 somewhat redundant. 

2 Posts

April 21st, 2018 05:00

Which SSD drives do you use for this controller?

No Events found!