Partition still 50% full despite deleting all files

PowerEdge 2900

Disks as per factory setup were:
2 x 136GB in RAID1 configuration

Partitions on virtual disk as per factory set up:
C:/ (98.07GB)
D:/ (16.53GB)
E:/ (21.48GB)

Moved Exchange logs and databases from C:/ onto E:/ for space reasons a while back. Have now installed new Disks and moved Exchange to these and deleted all files and folders from E:/. All is working fine.

However E:/ still reported as having only 10.29GB free space (48%). I.e. 11GB is 'in use'. I have turned on 'show hidden files and folders', but nothing shows up. I'm aware that some small amount of space would still be used... but 52% seems a bit excessive.

Any thoughts on how I can 'see' what is there and how to recover maximum amount of space back from this partition.

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 24th, 2012 13:00

Have you also moved your page file to E:?  How much RAM do you have installed?  Try using TreeSize to see where your space is being used.

3 Posts

December 24th, 2012 15:00

Thank you...

Under System Properties>Avanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Virtual Memory>Change the page file is set to "automaticaly manage page file size across all drives". It is currently set at Min 16MB, max 12586MB, although when checking this I note that recommended is currently 18429MB. I have 12GB RAM installed. If I deselect "automaticaly manage page file size across all drives" the E:/ volume has a paging file size of None and is set to 'no paging file'.

I'll try TreeSize

3 Posts

December 24th, 2012 16:00

TreeSize shows 11,327MB of System Volume Information files all set with 'access denied'. Can I safely delete this lot now... and how?!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 25th, 2012 12:00

sys vol files are System Restore files (older versions, etc.) ... since you deleted the data on that drive already, you can safely delete the System Restore data.  You can delete them by right-clicking [My] Computer, Properties, System Protection, choose your E: drive, Configure, Delete.  The actual steps will vary a bit from one OS to another.

Alternatively, you could just delete/recreate the partition, and/or format it.

No Events found!