Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2012 10:00

Perc H310 on PE T320

Hello all,

I recently ordered a T320 with a Perc H310 controller with two internal SAS hard drives.  Unfortunatly, I made a mistake and ordered the configuration to be Raid 0 instead of Raid 1.  Will I be able to do a Raid Level Migration from Raid 0 to Raid 1 even though the Raid 0 is across two disks?

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

No, the RLM doesn't work that way.  You can only migrate to a larger array - you can't take away space.

• 

8.5K Posts

Yes the H310 is capable of migration from a Raid 0 to a Raid 1, as long as there is only 1 disk in the Raid 0 going to the 2 drive raid 1. Since you have a 2 drive raid 0 you can't migrate to a raid 1 as you can't reduce the size of the array during migration.  Simply you can't take 2 drives worth of raid 0 data and move them to a single drive (to be mirrored) in the Raid 1.

Now with that being said, you CAN add a drive and migrate the array to a 3 drive raid 5, this is from your current configuration of a 2 drive raid 0.

You can find additional migration information on page 18 here - support.dell.com/.../UG_PERC8_en.pdf

Let me know if this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Generally speaking ... increased read speeds is the only upside to that; write speeds will decrease on RAID 5.

18 Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Thanks to both Chris and theflash.  So, I have two options.  One is to grow the Raid 0 to a 3 disk Raid 5 or I can destroy the Raid 0 and create a Raid 1 and reload the OS.  I am leaning towards reloading the OS.  This server is supposed to be a LOB App server.  Any thoughts on why I might want to go Raid 5?  This raid group will be supporting the OS and the Apps.

No Events found!