Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2012 06:00

Perc S300 replaced hdd does not appear to have come back online

Hi guys,

Perhaps a bit of a noob question, I have a T310 with a Perc S300 Raid 5 four disk array. I was checking the hot swap and took a drive out then placed it back in the server, at first there no lights came back on on the HDD module, I rebooted and checked the controller which showed the disk as "ready" and the right light came back on but the left light no longer flashes as it did before I removed it.

Am I missing a crucial step in this process?

Thanks

Bill

• 

8.8K Posts

October 15th, 2012 07:00

Bill,

What you can do is access the controller BIOS (CTRL-R) and from main screen hit CTRL-N for the Physical Drives page. From there scroll down, and highlight the drive and then hit F2. Select  "MAKE GLOBAL HOTSPARE" .

The drive should start rebuilding shortly after that.

Let me know how it goes.

October 15th, 2012 08:00

Downloaded Open Manager Server Administrator (OMSA) and installed, works great, can see the RAID rebuilding and in future will be able to initialise the replaced disk without a reboot.

Thanks.

October 15th, 2012 07:00

Thanks, seems to be working, I was watching some guy configure this using openmanage, is openmanage freely available and worth installing?

1 Message

November 14th, 2012 08:00

I watched as a Dell Basic Support Technician put my replacement Drive 0:3 back in the RAID5 (with no Global Hot Swap). It has been 90 minutes and the OMSA still shows zero progress and the new drive is not showing disk activity. We did this all while the server was live.

What next?

1 Message

November 15th, 2012 00:00

From memory for the replaced drive you need to select the appropriate task in the "physical disks" section of OMSA and execute it to start rebuilding, also depending on the size of the disk it could take a while to rebuild.

No Events found!