Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2016 03:00

Powedge T420 idrac Issue

hi

i have a poweredge t420 which is out of warrranty with the dreaded idrac issue. it just sits there initilizing and after a while reboots with the fans on full blast.

at this stage there is no display. i have found numerous procedures online to reset the idrac but none have worked. when i put in the power cable the server turns on immediately so the option of resetting the idrac with just power connected does not happen

i have done the minimum components post routine as well

i believe the idrac is onboard. my question is if i bought an idrac card and installed it in the idrac slot on the motherboard, would it disable the onboard idrac and will the server work properly then

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

October 10th, 2016 08:00

Hi 

If my memory serves me correctly and maybe someone else can confirm, the idrac is onboard but the enterprise card is an add in card but still requires an enterprise license to work.  So until the license is imported the server will continue to use either the bmc or idrac express.

When the server completes 3 or 4 reboot cycles does it then complete the post.  If it does then you may be able to install an idrac enterprise card and import a license via cli.  If you can't get this far then i am afraid a motherboard replacement will be the only option I can see but I may be wrong

Dave

No Events found!