Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 26th, 2013 14:00

PowerEdge 1600SC, Add-on SATA card is recognised once and is ignored after power cycle

I know, it's an oldie, but it's a goldie. Been running for 9 years now, although the SCSI disks have been replaced since then.

Anyways, here's the problem. I bought a Dawicontrol DC4300 4xSATA300 controller so i could hook up sata drives through a hotswap module in the 5.25" bay. It's a PCIX card, and has it's own BIOS. I want to use the sata drives ( 2.5"SSDs to be exact) to copy backup images onto.

The first time the server starts up it sees the card, gives it an IRQ, no problem. In windows the drivers install fine, and immediately i can see the drives attached to the controller. Could even do an ATTO benchmark on the drive, and it came to a whopping 260MB/sec :)

Here comes the weird part. After a power cycle, it's GONE. No bios info during the POST, and when i go into setup, no add-on card is seen, and the PCIX bus info says the slot is empty. It does however state that the 2nd PCIX bus is running at 100MHz (the card can operate on all frequencies, up to 133MHz) while normally the bus runs at 66 MHz if it is empty. I have tried the card in all PCIX slots, and even in a 32 bit PCI slot. No success. After that first detection, whenever i power cycle, the card is simply not detected by the system.

A restart without power cycle is no problem though, it sees the card right up to the next power cycle.

I need to perform an NVRam clear, to see the card again. After a power cycle, it's gone again.

Does anybody have an idea what can be done about this? I am thinking it's a BIOS bug. I have the latest BIOS A12 installed.

Hoping someone can give me a toehold on this, because i am at a loss. Thanks in advance.

• 

3.1K Posts

October 27th, 2013 21:00

Hi there,

Seem that both server and the card is in working condition. It can be detected but will be not available once a cold boot.

- A warm boot will be visible, but once a power cycle it disappears.

From here, I might suspect that it is a IRQ assignment for the PCIX card. Mind if you can assign 1 IRQ no# to the PCIX slot that you have installed the SATA card in.

Let me know the outcome.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi Joey, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this is something I have already tried. Actually I always try to assign unique IRQ's to devices that need high bandwidth. I also tried assigning high and low IRQ's to see if that made any difference. But to no avail. I have tried the card on IRQ's 5, 10 and 11. And even on 7, after disabling the LPT port.

Might be worth mentioning that there is also a PERC4 Raid controller installed on PCIX Bus 1, slot 1. I have the SATA controller installed on Bus 2, slot 1. I have also tried removing the PERC4 card, so all slots were empty besides the DC4300. But still nothing. So it can't be a conflict with another card. The Onboard LSI SCSI adapter is disabled. I also tried the DC4300 on Bus 1 , slot 1.

I tested the DC4300 card on a different system (in a 33MHz, 32bit PCI slot) and everything is fine, also after a power cycle / cold boot.

The fact that the card works fine the first time, means that it can hardly be a conflict with other hardware. It's working as we speak, i copied files onto an SSD and that went fine. Not fast but that was because the PERC4 just isn't that fast all the time. 

Hopefully you can come up with some other suggestions. Thanks again.

• 

3.1K Posts

October 28th, 2013 21:00

Hi

You did a great troubleshooting narrowing down the possibilities of what could be the root cause.

Based on my personal encountered issue, i had the same issue with 2 roots causes, 1 was the IRQ assignment and 1 would be the power to the card.

I tried to google the card that you are using, to find the specification of the voltage usage, but to no avail.

I researched that PERC4 uses 3.3V and below table are the voltage supplies to each slots.

Have you tried, with the card installed but no connection to any hard drives? a standalone card itself, just to check on the power usage?

Also, the card firmware, is it at the most updated version? http://www.dawicontrol.de/index.php?cmd=down&id=raid

Expansion Slot Speeds
Slot Slot Color Bus Operating Speed Voltage
6 - PCI beige 33 MHz 5 V
5 - PCI beige 33 MHz 5 V
4 - PCI-X green 33, 66, or 100 MHz 3.3 V
3 - PCI-X green 33, 66, or 100 MHz 3.3 V
2 - PCI beige 33 or 66 MHz 3.3 V
1 - PCI beige 33 or 66 MHz 3.3 V

5 Posts

October 29th, 2013 04:00

Addition:

I see now in the Slot table that the slot order is upside down. In the table slot1 is the lowest slot, while in my texts i assumed the top slot (Which is PCIX 66MHz) as slot1. Also, the BIOS assumes top to bottom order of slots. Here is the order as far as i have been able to derive, top to bottom (Which is also supported by the BIOS reports):

1 - PCIX Bus 1, Slot 1 66MHz, 64 bit  (beige)

2 - PCIX Bus 1, Slot 2 idem

3- PCIX Bus 2, Slot 1 66/100MHz, 64 bit (Green)

4- PCIX Bus 2, Slot 2 idem

5 - PCI Bus Slot 1 33MHz, 32 bit (Beige)

6 - PCI Bus Slot 2 idem

In addition, the DC4300 supports all buses and voltages. (3.3 and 5V, 32 and 64 bit, 33/66/100/133MHz operation in all combinations). This is stated in documentation i found about the card.

5 Posts

October 29th, 2013 04:00

Thanks again for the reply. Answering all of your questions in order :

Standalone card: Yes, tried that in nearly all of my troubleshooting. I have tried both actually, with and without disk(s) attached.

About the PREC/4 using 3.3 Volts: This is strange that it is seated in Bus1, Slot 1 because that is the slot it came shipped in when the server was pruchased in 2004. Are you sure Bus 1 doesn't also support 3.3V ? Also Bus supports 66MHz, i am sure of this because the BIOS reports this speed when the PERC/4 controller is installed.

DC4300 BIOS : I upgraded it from 4.30 to 4.31. No difference.

I even tried installing the DC4300 in  bus 1 slot 1, and the PERC/4 in bus 2, slot 1 (swapped out). No difference.

I wouldn't have posted this issue if it wasn't CHALLENGING  ;)  

As I stated in my first post, my thoughts on this are wandering towards the BIOS of the 1600SC. it's the latest BIOS (A12) and as far i have read most previous BIOS version have been brought out for mostly "new" CPU support. This server has an older Xeon 2.8 with 512k Cache. Do you think it is wise to downgrade the BIOS version, if possible to see if this makes a difference?

Thanks again!

• 

3.1K Posts

October 29th, 2013 20:00

Hi,

Seems all that I have thought of, you are ahead of it. Great troubleshooting.

It seems to be a BIOS issue, but I'm sure that 1600SC BIOS release will stop at A12. You can try downgrading, and see if it does work.

I can see other forums of similar issue, all relates to motherboard BIOS.

It wasn't detected at BIOS level, so I wouldn't want to request for a test of OS, eg: LiveCD.

If BIOS downgrade doesn't work, seems 1600SC is too old for the SATA card.

5 Posts

October 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi Joey,

As soon as i have the chance (weekend probably) i will downgrade the BIOS in steps downward (A11,A10 etc). I think the machine was shipped with BIOS A07 but i am not sure about that. 
For now the card is functioning perfectly. Even the hot swap functionality in combination with the docking station and SSDs works flawlessly. Just as long as the machine is not switched off and on again, no problems.
Thanks for sharing thoughts. Even though it has not brought me to a solution, it has helped a lot just by having all the steps confirmed. I will post the results off the BIOS downgrades for your information. And thanks again for your help!
No Events found!