Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 30th, 2017 05:00

PowerEdge 1800 don't boot up

Hello guys,

We have a PowerEdge 1800 server. We decided to upgrade it from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2. So we started to install Windows 2008 from scratch. The first problem was the RAID controller driver. We have got PERC 4/SC which seems bot supported by Windows 2008 R2. I found an article somewhere here in the forum that the Windows 2003 driver  might work. So I've tried it and worked so finally Windows 2008 R2 installed successfully. I upgraded the BIOS and BMC firmware and ran windows updates. After a couple of restart the server cannot boot up. After MPTBIOS-5.06.06 appears on the screen the server frozen I cannot do anything except switch it off. Doesn't matter if I press F2 or F10 doesn't go further. There are two ways when it goes further. First If I take off the RAID controller but it is useless as I cannot use the server. The other way if I unplug the power cables and waiting for an hour plug back in and it goes further but error messages pops up and the server rebooting itself and go back to the first scenario and have to switch it off.  (see attached screenshot)

Have someone any idea what causing this issue and any solution? I've burnt a diagnostics CD and I can run it if I remove the RAID controller but its not ideal. I thought might be some firmware issue but I cannot check. Is there any solution to check and update the firmware from a Boot CD?

Many thanks

AMajer

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

June 30th, 2017 10:00

Hello

It appears to be a firmware issue with the PERC 4/SC that is keeping it from initializing properly.

I've burnt a diagnostics CD and I can run it if I remove the RAID controller but its not ideal. I thought might be some firmware issue but I cannot check. Is there any solution to check and update the firmware from a Boot CD?

As you have pointed out, you can't boot to anything while the controller is installed. This will prevent you from being able to update the firmware. The firmware appears to be at the latest version, but if you were able to boot to a disc you may be able to re-flash the firmware.

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-1800/drivers

Device initialization issues can be caused by other devices in the system. A common scenario is that someone will attach a USB device to the system and then encounter POST/boot issues during the next restart. USB devices are often overlooked as potential points of failure when troubleshooting. I would suggest removing all unnecessary hardware from the system(minimum-to-POST) to see if there is a change with the PERC, that includes disconnecting the hard drives from the PERC. If there is no change then you will likely need to replace the PERC.

Many of our older controllers have an NVRAM jumper. Clearing the NVRAM via jumper on the PERC may resolve the issue. I suggest reading the manual regarding NVRAM so that you understand what you will be clearing before doing so.

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/dell-perc-4-sc/manuals

Thanks

5 Posts

July 5th, 2017 07:00

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't got time to check that you advised, but hopefully this week I can. Is it available from Dell a Boot CD ISO image where I can check all firmware version and update it?

Regards

Amajer

• 

6.2K Posts

July 5th, 2017 10:00

Is it available from Dell a Boot CD ISO image where I can check all firmware version and update it?

The SMTD contains the SBUU and SUU. It is a bootable ISO to update firmware:

www.dell.com/support/home/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=68RWT

Thanks

5 Posts

July 6th, 2017 03:00

I could manage to download the ISO2 file but ISO1 doesn't work. Neither download manager nor Browser download. Have you got an FTP link where this file is and I would download from there? I think I need both file to merge into one.

This is the error message in Chrome.

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #172.25a71002.1499331637.13a4616c

• 

6.2K Posts

July 6th, 2017 10:00

If you are unable to download the SMTD you can download the SBUU and SUU separately. They are both under the systems management category:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-1800/drivers

You boot to: Dell Systems Build and Update Utility

When it asks for the repository insert: Dell DVD ISO - Dell Server Updates, v.6.5.1, A00

Thanks

5 Posts

July 12th, 2017 07:00

Hi Daniel,

I unplugged the server from power last week. I downloaded SBUU and SUU and plugged an USB DVD player. I started the server and booted up normally. I started SUU from Windows 2008 R2 and I saw all firmware is up to date. Windows applied the latest update and restarted the server and stuck. It doesn't boot into SBUU.

I haven't cleared the NVRAM yet on the Raid controller because I'll loose all RAID configuration so I thought that should be the last step to try.

I'm still not get it what happens after restart that the BIOS cannot move further. It seems to me if the box is powered off for a longer time period then it forget its settings and BIOS start properly and booting up. If the box is restarted then the previous settings remembered and cannot boot up. Why works once and doesn't another time? If I take off RAID controller then I can boot with SBUU or SUU.

I tried to upgrade the BIOS but as it is the latest one I couldn't. Might there is a way to re-flash.

Regards

Attila

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 12th, 2017 08:00

I haven't cleared the NVRAM yet on the Raid controller because I'll loose all RAID configuration so I thought that should be the last step to try.

Clearing the NVRAM will NOT clear the RAID settings. If using a CERC SATA 6CH or a PERC card, their settings have nothing to do with the BIOS settings. If using the onboard CERC SATA 2S (which I would strongly advise you NOT to use), then clearing the NVRAM will only set it to non-RAID - you can re-enable it in the BIOS and be back up and running afterwards.

5 Posts

July 14th, 2017 09:00

I tried to clear the NVRAM so I put the jumper on the controller but nothing happened and didn't boot up. I went through the BIOS settings again and turned off  Primary SCSI Controller under Integrated Devices and after that everything works.

Thanks for your time to give some advises.

Regards

Amajer

No Events found!