Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2017 02:00

PowerEdge 1950 Gen II CPU Upgrade recommendations

I have two PowerEdge 1950 Gen II servers with dual E5335 processors (firmware up-to-date) and I would like to ask for recommendations to upgrade the processors with compliant processors that are capable of power on demand from the bios.

Also, I would like to run the OS from a SD card and leave the drive bays exclusively for data. I read about Dell's Internal Dual SD Module but from reviews, I am not sure that this is a reliable option. Thought of going external or else replace the DVD drive.

21 Posts

January 17th, 2017 12:00

I can't pm for the moment, maybe as I just joined in the community. Can you send me a message so that I could reply back. At least that seems to work ;)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2017 12:00

Hello.

I have two PowerEdge 1950 Gen II servers with dual E5335 processors (firmware up-to-date) and I would like to ask for recommendations to upgrade the processors with compliant processors that are capable of power on demand from the bios.

There are up to 3 revisions of this family of server. Private message me the system service tag so that I look up specific information on upgrade path.

Also, I would like to run the OS from a SD card and leave the drive bays exclusively for data. I read about Dell's Internal Dual SD Module but from reviews, I am not sure that this is a reliable option. Thought of going external or else replace the DVD drive.

It is also called Internal Persistent Storage on this family of servers. The device plugs into a USB port inside the system and is bootable with of at least 16 GB.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2017 15:00

This post has been edited to reflect supported processors in PowerEdge 1950 II

Any hardware or software issue can trigger a CPU Machine Check error. Review and clear the hardware logs and also ensure that the systems BIOS DRAC/BMC firmware is up to date.

21 Posts

February 17th, 2017 01:00

I just got a matched pair Intel Xeon X5365 SLAED 3GHz processors running on my Dell PowerEdge 1950 Gen II.

What I cannot find is the BIOS settings to set the CPUs power management to OS controlled. How can I solve this?

No Events found!