Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2010 09:00

PowerEdge 1950

Hi

I'm getting on the PowerEdge 1950 with WIN2003 SP2 64-bit following errors:

Howto solve these all problems?

BTW can someone pls post a link to the newest firmware.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 27th, 2010 10:00

Best advice on the Foreign - if this is critical data ... call Dell.  If in the States or Canada, the support is free and handled by a tech in the States.  It is far easier to explain things over the phone than in a forum.  800.822.8965

Don't do any updating until the Foreign configuration is resolved and the disks are all healthy and rebuilt.

Click right on your PERC 6/E, then the Information/Configuration link at the top of the page.  Choose Import Foreign Configuration from the drop-down list of available tasks.  If successful, all but one disk should come online, then that one disk will start to rebuild (you may have to do this manually if it doesn't start within a few minutes - PERC 6/E>Connector>Enclosure>Physical Disks>Assign Hot Spare from drop-down list for drive showing Offline or Failed).

Once all is well, then you can run the following updates ...

Driver - this should update the driver for both PERC's as they use the same driver.

PERC 6/i Firmware: (reboot)

PERC 6/E Firmware (reboot)

160 Posts

April 27th, 2010 11:00

Thx, but how critical are these Problems?

Can I lost data during "Import Foreign Configuration"?

What means "Import Foreign Configuration"?

This is a very important profile and file server.

BTW at PERC 6/E Adapter I can choose "Import Foreign Configuration" , but what about PERC 6/i Integrated -> there is no "Import Foreign Configuration"?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 27th, 2010 12:00

I'm guessing you are not in the States or Canada then?  You should have a support number you can call - if the system is still under warranty.  I again advise if this is an option, to call Support.

The Foreign drives on the PERC 6/E is a BIG deal, as it likely means your array is OFFLINE - and possible already gone.  The RAID configuration is stored in the controller AND on the hard drives.  When those configurations don't match, then the controller marks that drive as Foreign.  Since all your drives are showing Foreign, they controller probably lost the configuration altogether.  Importing the configuration, will tell the controller to use the configuration on the drives.  This will not cause you to lose data, but know that the data may already be gone - this is simply a way to check.  The controller is currently waiting for you to tell it what to do with the Foreign configuration.  You can Clear or Import, but you don't want to Clear if they are all Foreign.

If the drives attached to the PERC 6/i are not showing Foreign, then there is NO need to Import or Clear, because it is running properly.

Ignore the driver/firmware warning for now.  You should plan on updating it soon, but it is just informational - it doesn't and won't make any difference until you get the Foreign configuration resolved.

No Events found!