Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 23rd, 2005 20:00

PowerEdge 2800 bios stop - F1/F2 message

Hi, i'm a new Dell user and while starting the computer, before windows starts, the following message appears:

Press for BMC Setup within 5 sec......
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the Setup Utility.

No change was made to the Server and it has been working fine since it was bought, last April. I got in contact with Dell support and they couldn't help me. Anyone can help me?

Sorry for the English, but i'm trying to improve it.

Thanks, Anderson

13 Posts

December 18th, 2005 13:00

Anderson,

I also have a 2800 and have seen that since I started using the server about a month ago.

I'm not a techie, but I was told that it is a mgt. option for remote control.  I would not worry about it unless someone else corrects my understanding.

Good luck!

Z man

718 Posts

December 22nd, 2005 07:00

I'm surprised that Dell support can not assist you.
The BMC message is a normal display during boot.
The F1/F2 display is a prompt to indicate that all is not normal.
Do you have dual PSU and are they both powered on?

When the machine boots up after pressing have you the Dell Openmanage Server Administrator installed that can
identify the anomaly.

If not check out and install DSET at: ftp://dropbox.us.dell.com/dropbox2/ips/dset/

January 4th, 2006 18:00

The Press for BMC Setup within 5 sec...... is a normal boot-up message.
The Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the Setup Utility. is not typical, and should only display when there's been an error. There's a change that the error could have scrolled off the screen, so you may need to reboot and pay attention. Once you've cleared the error, then the f1/f2 message should go away.

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 12:00

My OpenManage Install is perfectly happy except that it's whining about wanting new drivers and firmware. Seeing that this server has been running just fine with what it's got for more than 8 years, i'm disinclined to go monkeying around with the driver or firmware.

Does anyone know how to suppress this message or skip the boot sequence interrupt?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 1st, 2013 13:00

"Does anyone know how to suppress this message or skip the boot sequence interrupt?"

Uninstall OMSA or ignore the message.  What "boot sequence interrupt" are you talking about?

Firmware and driver updates are important on servers.  Of course it is up to you, and I'm glad your server has been running for 8 years without problem, but they address potentially serious issues before they become your issues:  random drive timeouts, write delays, general response delays, ROMB battery charge, I/O issues/performance, SBE's, processor errors, fan issues (speed and efficiency), server monitoring efficiency and accuracy, storage patrol reads, error recovery, SMART error efficiency, etc.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

February 5th, 2013 14:00

flash didnt say anything about replacing the bios battery and I suggest you not so so at this point, that will cause you some headaches if you have not saved the bios settings first. OMSA is doing its job, it knows what needs to be updated, and it cant be muted to not report that info.

February 5th, 2013 14:00

I agree with TheFlash, a good cheap test is to replace your BIOS battery. (the small round flat shiny disc on the motherboard), restart, enter setup, check the bios settings to make sure everything looks right and then save and quit.

No Events found!