Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2011 12:00

PowerEdge 2850 Boot to USB

I was just recently given some PowerEdge 2850 servers and need to install Windoes 2008 on them.  They do not have DVD drives so I made a bootable USB thumb drive.  I have been able to use the thumbdirve to install Windows on other machines, but I am not able to get these 2850's to even attempt to boot to the USB drive.

I have gone into the BIOS and set the USB Controller to 'On with BIOS support'.  I've tried each of the three available USB Emulation types and none seem to work.  Also, I have seen some web pages that describe that the USB drive would appear the boot sequence selection, but it does not.

Any suggestions?

Alex

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I have done installs on a LOT of 2850's, and here are some possible suggestions based on what you said or didn't say in your post:

Make sure that you have the USB ports turned on under Integrated Devices and Emulation set to Auto.  Also, make sure you have the USB key IN THE SYSTEM when you boot to the BIOS to change the boot order.

22 Posts

Looks like you can only book to USB from the rear USB ports.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

I'm not sure I've ever done an install on a rear USB port ... I can tell you with 100% certainty that you can boot to USB on the front USB ports.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2012 12:00

Well, I just did this on my 2850, and found this thread necessary: I had the USB key plugged into the front, and it was never showing up in the boot device list.  Comments above made me switch it to a rear USB port and reboot, and voila: now it shows up in the list.  So at least on *my* 2850, I cannot boot from USB on the front ports.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2015 09:00

here is working both sides without problems. Just enable it in BIOS for C: 

1 Message

March 5th, 2019 00:00

Please be specific you are not specific

1 Message

August 21st, 2019 16:00

Hi All, I just bricked the server and wanted to run 2012R2 and figured the last step out....  Same problem in front port - went into BIOS and did as mentioned above ... no joy first time.  Back into BIOS - changed setting for Hard-Disk Drive Sequence ... moved the option for the Hard-disk-emulated USB to first position as number 1 which is now set above slot-2 perc adapter setting and - BINGO... it works on front and back.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No Events found!