Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2011 11:00

PowerEdge 2950 Instrusion alert with cover closed - Fans running at 12K RPMs - how to disable?

We have a PowerEdge 2950 that has had an Intrusion Alert for some time now. I have removed and re-inserted the cover many times trying to reset this sensor but it still reads as an intrusion alert. What scares me is that the fans are running at such high RPM's that I am afraid they are going to fail prematurely and not to mention it sounds like a jet engine in our server rack.

I had to replace the DVD ROM from the server about a month ago and I noticed the intrusion alert shortly after this has happened. I checked the DVD ROM and it appears to be seated in fine so I am at a loss of why this alert is happening. It does appear to me that the cover might not be pulling all the way in when I press the pull latch down, almost as something is wrong with the cover.

Is there an easy way to just disable the intrusion switch / alert or to throttle down the fans automatically? The temps in the case are fine, in fact it is very cool internally so the fans do not need to be working this hard.

Thank you and best regards,

Shawn

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 26th, 2011 12:00

The switch inside the chassis is on top of the control panel.  I would start by checking with your control panel to ensure everything is secure and the tab hasn’t broken off.  If you were to have another 2950, you could check to see if the issue is isolated to the control panel.  Unfortunately, there isn’t an option on this unit to disable the warning in the BIOS.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Its actually on the sideplane not the control panel.  I apologize for the confusion there.  The sideplane is what the optical drive cable plugs into.  The sideplane plugs into the system board so you might also want to reseat the sideplane.

Here is the link to the manual,

support.dell.com/.../hom.pdf

Pg 52 - location of sidelpane in system

Pg 142 - image of sideplane:

Thank you Todd. I do not have another 2950, I have a few other Dell Servers but not another series like this. Do you have a description or a link to an image of what the sensor looks like so that I can attempt to locate it? Thank you sir!

August 26th, 2011 14:00

Thank you Todd, the switch on the sensor sure enough has broken off. I applied a quick fix and taped the remaining portion of the switch down. The fans have already throttled down and are operating around their normal RPM range. If I wanted to correctly fix the problem I assume I would need to purchase a replacment sideplane. Thank you for the document, it helped out tremendously!

1 Message

December 27th, 2016 09:00

Thanks, both of you to clarifying this issue, had an abnormal noise and actually because of you realized that the actual "button" was broken.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2018 08:00

Even all these years later, your advice was 100% spot-on... just what I needed.  I had to jam a screw into the hole to hold down the remnant of the broken switch, and tape a bit of cardboard in place to keep the screw depressed.

High tech!!

Thanks.

No Events found!