Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2014 05:00

PowerEdge R210 II Rebooting on it's own

Hi Everyone,

I have a PowerEdge R210 II with SBS 2008 installed that is rebooting almost on a time schedule.  However, it does go on randbom other reboots.  No there is no scheduled reboot as a task running.  I thought it was Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.  I uninstalled that after some errors were showing up.  I'm not getting anything in event viewer.  I finally got the client to let me have the server, they are a CPA firm and it's tax season, yesterday to update the firmware and all the drivers.  Hopefully this will solve it.  Where should I start if it reboots again today?  The weird part is that it seems to happen after they come in and start running their programs.  The server has exchange, SQL, a tax package, anti-virus, backupexec, etc.  Nothing too crazy.  I'm glad they are getting rid of SBS.  I hate the way they make you install sharepoint and all the other intergrated stuff.  Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 11th, 2014 07:00

Had an issue with Endpoint as to reboots, if it does happen again uninstall Endpoint, make sure all traces of it are removed, including directories and registry entries, then reinstall. Symantec "Clean Wipe", I believe will remove it, but check that it will not remove Backup exec.

In Task Manage sort on memory,  watch for ever increasing memory usage, same for handles.

How much memory do the server have?

Does the tax program use  SQL?

Did this start just after the newest  MS Updates were installed.

Download/run  a virus scanner and a rootkit revealer.

"I'm glad they are getting rid of SBS". :emotion-1:

• 

8.8K Posts

April 11th, 2014 08:00

Mriordan,

First off, do you happen to have another Domain Controller in the network? SBS will start rebooting it if senses another server as the Domain Controller.

If not,

Are you getting an "Abnormal Shutdown" notification in the event viewer? Also, can uncheck Automatically Restart from the Startup and Recovery button in SYSTEM PROPERTIES? That is in case we are getting a Blue Screen that is causing a reboot, so when it happens it will stay at the BSOD making it easier to identify the stop code.

Are there any .dmp files?

Let me know what you find.

3 Posts

April 15th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

SEPM is just a management console it can not cause any system reboot. If SEP client is also installed on the same machine then need to verify logs if SEP is causing any issue.

Can remove or disable SEP to isolate this issue. To remove SEP completely can use Cleanwipe tool.

Best Regards,

Chetan

No Events found!