Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2016 08:00

PowerEdge R310 Server Memory Upgrgade

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to upgrade our PE R310 server from 4gb RAM to 16gb RAM. I am starting to wonder if this is even possible? After trying several versions of this RAM from third party vendors with no luck I purchased 4 x 4GB from DELL located here: DELL SUGGESTED RAM

I have treid loading the RAM modules into different slot and configurations with no luck. The machine will not even boot, I get a orange/amber light light after I press the (I) info button, nothing but a black screen. If I put the old RAM back in the same memory slots it boots fine. What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance.

-Daniel

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 27th, 2016 13:00

Hello.

What processor model are you using? However, I find the memory in question supported on the Dell server R310. Did you correctly populate the memory thus on slots 2&4 channel B and slots 1&3 on channel A. It is quite possible that either all the memory modules(DIMMs) or some of them are faulty. Try booting the server with each one of the DIMM separately on Slot 1 channel A to identify the faulty one. 

Let me know how this works out.

January 27th, 2016 14:00

Daniel,

What CPU do you have in the R310?

6 Posts

January 28th, 2016 07:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 28th, 2016 09:00

Have you tried booting the server with 1 DIMM at a time? Just to make sure that you have been sent the correct memory; provide the actual part number on the DIMMs. Is the part number on the DIMMs the same?

Edit. Intel-Core i3-530 processor does not support RDIMMs

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 28th, 2016 13:00

Danc013.

Upon further research, I noticed that the RDIMMs are not supported on the Intel Core i-530 processor which is consumer grade processor. In case that you want to keep this processor, consider using UDIMM memory modules. Otherwise, upgrade to any of the processors below that support RDIMMs.

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 12:00

Dear Robert

I got an issue similar to Danc013

we have a Dell PowerEdge R310 with 16 GB RAM installed in 4GB RAM per slot, our servicetag is 8xxxxx1<Admin note: Service Tag scambled for security reasons>

we want to fill the remaining slots (2) with extra 2x4GB RAM.each of the new RAM has the following description

4GB DDR3-10600 DIM/1333MHz

we installed the RAM memory in the remaining slots, and it come with a message in the ambar screen, informing something that memory is not being recognized, beacuse the slota are not in I position

what cam be making the trouble to put these memories to work?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 15th, 2016 14:00

Hello.

Based on your service tag, the server was shipped with 4X4 GB UDIMMs. The 4GB DDR3-10600 DIM/1333MHz modules are likey to be Non-ECC UDIMMs, provide the actual part number so that we look up more information. However, note that the R310 server:

• Supports up to 16GB of UDIMMs, so you can not upgrade beyond your current capacity. To upgrade, use RDIMMs
  • Only 2 UDIMMs are populated per channel
  • Non-ECC UDIMMs are not supported

If you choose to upgrade with RDIMMs, refer to the table above for the compatible processors.

No Events found!