Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 14th, 2018 06:00

PowerEdge R320 Alert! iDRAC not responding. Rebooting.

Hi 

I have an R320 that was working then removed and stored.  Note. It doesn't have the iDRAC module but I understand it is implemented on the BMC.

When the machine starts it reports it configures memory, then initialises iDRAC then reports

Alert! iDRAC not responding. Rebooting

It then reboots, and goes through the above again to POST screen where it says 

Lifecycle Controller Disabled

CPLD Version : 104

Warning!iDRAC  intiallisation error, Continuing to boot (etc.)

Management Engine Mode : Active

Management Engine F/W Version : 0002.0001

Patch : 0005

Build : 006D

Strike the F1 key to continue

Press F1...

iDRAC Settings:

SWC0700: iDRAC is not ready. The configuration values cannot be accessed.

Press F1 to continue. F2 for setup. F11 for boot menu.

F1 continues to start Windows OK but fans are running full speed.

Also I've noticed that the ibutton is continually flashing and the associated button on the back flashing yellow.  Pressing either button has no effect.

I've tried clearing the flea power and also resetting the iDRAC holding the i Button.

I've checked similar posts but not sure which techniques apply to a server without the iDRAC.  Also I have a near identical working R320 if I can test swapping any hardware over easily.

Thanks for any advice.

311 Posts

March 14th, 2018 09:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thank you,

311 Posts

March 14th, 2018 13:00

Hi Aston,

Thank you for the service tag.

The iDRAC is embedded in the motherboard. It's either the BMC, iDRAC Epress ,or iDRAC Enterprise depending on the license that is purchased. The license will enable additional features for the Express or Enterprise. I checked your order and saw that an additional license was not purchased.

@astyywrote:

I've tried clearing the flea power and also resetting the iDRAC holding the i Button.

The iDRAC can take up to 5 minutes to reinitialize, so be sure and allow enough time.

Here is a link to another post with the same issue as yourself that was solved. 

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-General-HW/Initializing-iDrac/td-p/5080061

Let me know if that helps,

3 Posts

March 15th, 2018 05:00

Thank you for looking into it @Dell-JimmyP I did follow that link which concluded that either the BMC is at fault or follow the Serial/Putty procedure, in my case I get no iDRAC Recovery menu in the Putty console.

Things have taken a turn for the worse - the server now has Health, Power and Temp diagnostic indicators lit Amber as well as the indicator light on the back flashing Amber.

I do have an identical R320 if it would help to t/shoot swapping components.  The faulty server was removed some time ago and subsequently stored which could be relevant.

311 Posts

March 15th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

It is starting to sound as if the motherboard may be at fault. You can try to take the system down to minimum to POST to make sure it's not another component causing the problems. 

The minimum components to allow the PowerEdge R320 to complete POST are:

• System Board
  • CPU1 with heat sink (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • Single DIMM configuration with DIMM in socket A1
  • Control Panel with cable (to power system on)
  • Expansion Riser
  • PSU (and for redundant PSU also the PDB/PIB)

Let me know if that makes any difference.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2018 07:00

@Dell-JimmyPwrote:

Hi,

It is starting to sound as if the motherboard may be at fault. You can try to take the system down to minimum to POST to make sure it's not another component causing the problems. 

The minimum components to allow the PowerEdge R320 to complete POST are:

• System Board
  • CPU1 with heat sink (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • Single DIMM configuration with DIMM in socket A1
  • Control Panel with cable (to power system on)
  • Expansion Riser
  • PSU (and for redundant PSU also the PDB/PIB)

Let me know if that makes any difference.

I have unplugged what I think can be unplugged and it's still failing to initialise the iDRAC.  Anything else I can try before concluding that the motherboard is at fault?  Thanks.

311 Posts

March 19th, 2018 12:00

Hi,

The problem can be any of the components that were used for minimum to POST that you aren't able to swap or the motherboard itself with the additional diagnostic indicators you started to see. With the BMC on the motherboard, it can be hard to differentiate between the 2 and replacing the motherboard would be the same fix.

Thanks,

5 Posts

July 11th, 2019 10:00

I read the entire thread. We are having the exactly same issue.
What was the resolution in your case - motherboard?

No Events found!