Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2017 12:00

PowerEdge R330 - HDD + SSD - howto boot from SSD

Hi all,

Just trying to convince one of our R330 to boot from the SSD. I have BIOS Boot Mode enabled. However in System Bios -> Boot Sequence I have only HDD C:, and NIC Port 1 only options. System Bios -> Hard-Disk Drive Sequence is SATA E: (the SSD we want the boot to happen), then the rest of the disks. I tried to disable Hard drive C: from Boot Option Enable/Disable with no effect. Every time we bounce the machine it fails to find an OS. I have to select F11 and manually point to the SSD in order to boot it. Any hints about how to make the server boot by default from the SSD?

thanks,

Val

• 

6.2K Posts

January 26th, 2017 16:00

Hello

All options related to enabling/disabling or changing the boot order are in that menu. If the Hard-Disk Failover option is disabled then it will only attempt to boot from the first device in the HDD boot list. If it is enabled it will go through each enabled device until it finds something bootable.

Thanks

9 Posts

January 30th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for pointing this to me. The Hard-Disk failover option was part of the problem in my case. I also had disabled the HardDrive C: from Boot Option Enable/Disable. Hard Drive C: is listed as one of the spin drives. However, enabling back that option made the server to finally boot from the SSD. Weird, but it works.

thanks again,

Val

November 13th, 2020 18:00

Hi Guys,

Our server as well has both SSD and HDD drives, but we are having trouble enabling both in our server. Currently the SSD is online with our OS installed, but not the HDD. How did you enable both your storage drives for Windows to recognize them both?

Would really appreciate the help as this is my first time deploying a server with both SSD and HDD installed. We are currently using a Dell EMC Poweredge R540. 

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

• 

2.4K Posts

November 16th, 2020 03:00

Hi, I've seen your post replied in here https://dell.to/2IvQbKH and it seems to correct to me. You can follow up on that topic. have a great one!

No Events found!