Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

August 25th, 2019 12:00

PowerEdge R640 with Intel X520-DA2 now working

I installed an Intel X520-DA2 into my R640, but it's not functioning correctly. iDRAC does show it's model name, but most of the info like Link Status is Unknown & the firmware has no version info. I found this urgent firmware update: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=3xjh0&oscode=naa&productcode=poweredge-r640 But when I try to apply the update in iDRAC with the .exe it says "Unable to complete the firmware update operation because the specified firmware image is for a component that is not in the target system inventory." When I look at the System Inventory the card does show up, again with no firmware version. Also, if I try to update from the Life Cycle Control with the .exe on a USB, I get the same thing. So how do I get the firmware installed?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

August 26th, 2019 07:00

All of the firmware update methods ultimate follow the same process, they stage the update in the Lifecycle Controller. It sounds like there could be an issue with the card. Are you able to access the card's configuration utility, or interact with it at all in the Device Settings portion of the F2 menu?

I would try shutting the server down, removing the Intel card, powering the server up, then shutting down and reinstalling the card. Failing that, you might also try the card in another PCI slot, just to confirm that there isn't something about the slot causing problems. 

If the card seems to be working fine everywhere else but with the iDRAC and the LCC, I would shut the server off, unplug it, then hold the power button down for around 30 seconds, then bring it back up. Checking the firmware for the iDRAC to make sure it is up to date would also be a good idea.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2023 08:00

did you ever get this solved?

No Events found!