Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2016 13:00

PowerEdge R710 -- Some configured disks have been removed

I have a R710 which had 2 drives fail and they were replaced. The server was booted and is now stuck at the "Some configured disks have been removed......press any key to continue" error message. If I was local to the server I could address the issue, but I'm remote and accessing it via the iDRAC.

So my question is there a way to fix this issue? I cannot launch the Virtual Console because I keep getting Connection Failed for some reason or another. I tried setting all the trusted hosts and such, but none of that works. In any case, can I get the OS to boot by doing something via the GUI or via SSHing into the iDRAC?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 14th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

I have a R710 which had 2 drives fail and they were replaced. The server was booted and is now stuck at the "Some configured disks have been removed......press any key to continue" error message

What RAID level was configured? Did these drives fail at the same time?

So my question is there a way to fix this issue? I cannot launch the Virtual Console because I keep getting Connection Failed for some reason or another

You need to get the virtual console working if there isn't anybody onsite. Try a different plugin either Native or Java and web browser.

17 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

This was setup with RAID 5 and the drives in slot 2 and 4 failed at different times. The chain of events was that Drive 2 failed, then Drive 4 failed, it wasn't noticed, the server was rebooted and never loaded the OS. It was then determined that 2 drives failed.  So 2 new drives were installed, the server rebooted again and the same condition occurred, it didn't load the OS and gave the 'Some configured disks have been removed' error message.

So if I was to assume the OS wasn't wiped out and for some reason wasn't being loaded, would could I do to get the server back on the right boot track to load the OS?

Or should I assume the OS is lost and now needs to be reinstalled?

I wish I could get the Virtual Console running, but time and time again I get the Connection Failed message every time I try to load it. I've changed the Java settings to Direct Connect, so the browser settings are no longer playing a role. I've added the IP of the iDRAC every which way to sunday in the Exception List. None of the ports are being blocked, because using tcpdump, I can see communication on port 5900 when I run the viewer.jnlp to load the Virtual Console.

I've even upgraded the iDRAC Firmware to v2.85 and still nothing. I've wiped out java cache files and done everything possible yet I'm still getting Connection Failed. Is there any way pipe the server console via an SSH into the iDRAC and entering the console com2 command? So instead of seeing the Remote Console via the iDRAC GUI and Java, I could instead see the text/ascii output via an SSH session?

17 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

This was setup with RAID 5 and the drives in slot 2 and 4 failed at different times. The chain of events was that Drive 2 failed, then Drive 4 failed, it wasn't noticed, the server was rebooted and never loaded the OS. It was then determined that 2 drives failed.  So 2 new drives were installed, the server rebooted again and the same condition occurred, it didn't load the OS and gave the 'Some configured disks have been removed' error message.

So if I was to assume the OS wasn't wiped out and for some reason wasn't being loaded, would could I do to get the server back on the right boot track to load the OS?

Or should I assume the OS is lost and now needs to be reinstalled?

I wish I could get the Virtual Console running, but time and time again I get the Connection Failed message every time I try to load it. I've changed the Java settings to Direct Connect, so the browser settings are no longer playing a role. I've added the IP of the iDRAC every which way to sunday in the Exception List. None of the ports are being blocked, because using tcpdump, I can see communication on port 5900 when I run the viewer.jnlp to load the Virtual Console.

I've even upgraded the iDRAC Firmware to v2.85 and still nothing. I've wiped out java cache files and done everything possible yet I'm still getting Connection Failed. Is there any way pipe the server console via an SSH into the iDRAC and entering the console com2 command? So instead of seeing the Remote Console via the iDRAC GUI and Java, I could instead see the text/ascii output via an SSH session?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 15th, 2016 08:00

The chain of events was that Drive 2 failed, then Drive 4 failed, it wasn't noticed, the server was rebooted and never loaded the OS. It was then determined that 2 drives failed.  So 2 new drives were installed, the server rebooted again and the same condition occurred, it didn't load the OS

Explain "2 new drives were installed" ... what was done with the drives when they were installed? Forced online? Assigned as hot-spares? Just inserted and done? You can't replace both drives and expect data to be there. If drive 2 failed first, then drive 4 MUST be present if you want any chance of recovering the array.

If you forced drives online, then the game is over. Wipe out the array, reconfigure, restore from backup.

If you just put the drives in hoping it would magically work, then we can work with that. Start by powering down and taking out the new drives 2 and 4 and putting the original drive 4 back in. Boot to the CTRL-R utility for the RAID controller, highlight the controller on the VD MGMT screen, F2, Foreign, IMPORT. Then see if your array comes back on and the OS boots (possible at this point there is still OS corruption preventing it from booting).

If you can't proceed as described, there is a good chance that the data is gone, but post what you encounter.

17 Posts

November 16th, 2016 13:00

I was able to have the server shipped to me. Because it was RAID 5 and 2 drives failed, all was lost. So I rebuilt the OS. Thanks for the help.  Now to figure out why the Virtual Console isn't working. Likely some unknown firewall filter sitting in never-never land across the corporate environment.

No Events found!