Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

August 17th, 2019 01:00

PowerEdge R710 new SAS disk trouble

Hello everyone!

Last few days i'm struggling trying to replace died SAS disk.

This server came with 8 SAS 2.5'' 300GB disks which were replaced with 8 Seagate SAS 2.5'' 600GB two years ago. Disks are configured in RAID 5 wih 2 VDs. Since that change everything worked fine.

A week ago disk in bay 0 died. So I ordered new dell 600 GB SAS disk.

When new disk came, I turned off server, pulled out bad disk, removed it from enclosure, put new disk in that enclosure (as new one came in phisically incompatible enclosure with server), seat disk in server and turned server on.

And, nothing!, No new disk in PERC utility (Ctrl + R), no new disk in OMSA. No led lightning on disk.

I've tried new disk in other server - it is OK.

I've tried several other disks, even that one which is bad. Controller does not see any disk in that bay.

I also upgraded H700 controller with 'SAS-RAID_Firmware_9FVJ2_WN64_12.10.7-0001_A13' FW utility, and it still won't accept  new disk.

Please HELP! Any advice is wellcome.

• 

8.8K Posts

August 19th, 2019 05:00

Mcatic,

With a raid controller installed in the server, unless the drives are cabled, then you don't need to power down the server to replace the failed drive. Simply remove the failed drive, wait 15 seconds or so, then insert the replacement drive. It should start rebuilding on its own, if not set it as Hotspare. 

Now with the issue you have, it may be an issue with the slot. I would power down the server and then reseat the backplane and raid controller, as well as any cable connections. If you have a known good R710, you can try swapping the backplane and cables to test in this server, which should identify the problem.

Let me know what you see. 

No Events found!