Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 31st, 2016 08:00

PowerEdge R805 Hard Disk replacement

I replaced the 2 mirrored HDDs on my PowerEdge R805 recently, with new set of SAS 1TB HDDs for higher volume, configured on Raid 1 (200GB for System partition; 800GB for Data partition). Afterwards, I needed to slot in the old HDDs to be able to retrieve some documents from them, but the machine did not see them. Can anybody show me how I can make the server recognise the old Hard drives? The old HDDs are of 500GB size, configured on Raid 1 (100GB for System partition; 400GB for Data partition).

• 

8.8K Posts

March 31st, 2016 14:00

Benalao,

Alot of this will depend on the controller installed. If you have a Perc installed then I would suggest looking to see if the drives are in fact showing as Foreign, if so then I would suggest CLEARING the FOREIGN in order to not cause confusion with the new Virtual Disk. After clearing the foreign you would need to retag the original Virtual Disk. That is recreating the Virtual DIsk from scratch, but not initializing the VD after creation, as that will delete the data.

If the controller is the SAS 5 or 6/IR then our options will be limited. If you clarify which is installed we can move forward.

Let me know.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 04:00

Many thanks, Chris.

The controller type is 6/iR, please. What are the options available for this model?

Secondly, could you please also guide me on what to do if, after having done with old HDDs, I want to return the new HDDs to the server, knowing that their configuration is different from that of the old HDDs?

Regards.

Benjamin.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2016 07:00

How many Virtual Disks are there, aside from the 2 drive Raid 1 you were referring to. If you have another VD, such as for Data, that is what is likely the issue with adding the old drives back. As the 6/ir is limited to only 2 Virtual Disks.

No Events found!