Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 12th, 2010 13:00

PowerEdge T100 problems

I have a PowerEdge T100 that was working fine until last night.  It suddenly died and is going through a continuous reboot with a solid amber power light and status lights 1, 3, and 4 on.  The indication is a failed before POST problem.  I wasn't sure what was happening so I pulled it all apart and unplugged everything.  Still same problem.  I pulled 2 of the 4 memory modules and all peripherals and still get the same problem.  I then tried to reset the BIOS by setting the jumper and I pulled the battery backup.  Still same problem.  I then left it unplugged for about 30 minutes and when I plugged it back in it came up with the same status but on the first reboot the power went green.  I did not have any peripherals plugged in so I proceed to starting plugging in and retried.  No luck.  I did plug everything into it and waited about an hour and it booted back up into the OS.  I flashed the BIOS and on reboot it failed again.  Once again waited and it came back on.  So the long and short of it is, if it is started and operating it seems to work fine but on reboot it will not work.  I did not leave it plugged in all night since it is a home office and it continually reboots with the fans on high.  I suspect that it will run for sometime but will eventually fail since that is what it did yesterday.  

Any ideas on what might be happening with the system? I am afraid it is the motherboard and I image it will be cheaper just to replace the system.  It is only 15 months old :(  If I do need to replace the system I wonder how the new PowerEdge T110 sound level is compared to the T100.  I use to run higher end servers but they are now too loud for a home office.  Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks

Alex

347 Posts

May 14th, 2010 16:00

Sounds like you got it covered. check one thing for me, on the power supply is the main voltage switch, confirm its set propely for the voltage where you live ( I know, shouldnt make a difference, but it can)

try this as well:
1. Boot to BIOS setting by F2 
2. Light up all three keyboard LEDs (caps lock, Scroll lock, num lock) and then hit:
Alt-E (erase settings)
Alt-F (restore Factory settings)
Alt-B (Save and reboot)

Are you sure its not under warranty?

18 Posts

May 19th, 2010 22:00

Sorry for delay in getting back to you and thanks for taking the time to respond.  I already reset NVRAM but I also tried the recommendation.  It is not the power but I also checked that.  I am now thinking my system is dead and am going to research some options on T110 or T310.  I am just concerned about noise levels of these systems as this is a home office.  I don't mind some noise but not much so I am a little nervous.  The T100 has been a great system as far as noise goes.  And I am definitely not under warranty anymore...

1 Message

June 16th, 2013 20:00

Ok I realise this is an old thread but I'll just put this here if others have similar issues .. my trusty old T100 (Xeon) developed similar errors .. and it turned out to be ..  the on-board network interface .. every time I plugged this in it rebooted every two seconds. Remove the network cable - no issues (!) .. 

So anyone that has similar issues - give this a go. 

No Events found!