Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2014 07:00

PowerEdge T110 Power Issues

The software I am using on this Dell desktop computer is Windows Server 2012. When I go to shut down the computer by using the start menu, it does not fully shut down. It turns off my monitor and then it seems it just puts my computer into sleep mode or hibernate mode. However it will do nothing once that is done. I can not hold the actual power button down to shut it off. The only way I can get it to even come back on is if I unplug the power cord going into the back of the computer from it and let it sit for about 30 seconds. When I plug it back in and press the power button on the computer it comes up fine. If I have to do a Windows update or anything to restart my computer it does this each and every time. This problem has only recently started and i know it should not be doing this.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 17th, 2014 11:00

Hello

I would suggest that you try to find out if it is a Windows issue or a system BIOS issue. You can boot to a Linux live or some other operating system to test the shutdown functionality there. Alternatively, you could open a command line and run a shutdown command. It should be:

shutdown -s

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491003.aspx

If it shuts down correctly in another operating system or by manually invoking the shutdown command then it is a Windows issue. I would suggest that you check your OS configuration. It is possible to set the OS to hibernate instead of shutting down.

Thanks

No Events found!