Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 1st, 2018 07:00

PowerEdge T410 RAID Rebuild Stuck

We are using a PowerEdge T410 server running Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2.  The RAID controller we are using is a PERC S300.  A week ago I noticed both Physical Drives in the RAID 1 array were degraded.  I decided to replace Drive 1 and leave Drive 0 to rebuild the array.  It is still rebuilding and stuck at 7%.  I have restarted the services for OpenManage and reconnected to it thinking it was giving a false report.  It shows the same information.  Are there any other options to pushing through a rebuild?  Is the other degraded disk keeping the rebuild from finishing?  

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 11:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2018 12:00

If the other drive has corrupt data, it may not be able to complete the rebuild, so hanging or all-out failure of the rebuild is common.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 13:00

Thank you for the service tag.

The S300 has limited logging capabilities. I would suggest checking the hardware log and Windows event log for errors related to the controller. The controller driver may have reported the reason the drives are degraded. If the driver logged the event it will be in the Windows Events.

There are two likely reasons that a rebuild will not complete or get stuck. There is either an issue writing to the new drive or an issue reading from the old drive. You should be able to run diagnostics on the drives to test for any read/write issues. If the drives pass diagnostics then the issue is likely with the virtual disk. If the controller encounters corrupt or missing data in the virtual disk while attempting a rebuild it will result in a rebuild failure if there is not redundant data.

https://www.dell.com/perc/

Thanks

No Events found!