Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

October 4th, 2018 12:00

PowerEdge T420 RAID rebuild problems

A drive failed abruptly on our 2012 R2 server two nights ago, with error f4 in the OMSA log. I replaced it with an identical Dell drive yesterday - same part number, same specs, etc. The disk shows Spun Up and Ready, but it is not rebuilding. We're using RAID 1.

Today, I've tried two different brand new drives with the same results. Two of the 3 virtual disks are showing as Degraded and I can't get anywhere with them either. Rebooting did nothing.

if I attempt to Replace Member Disk for Virtual Disk 1, it says "storage management only displays disks that can be used as a replace member. There are currently no disks that are available, large enough, or of the correct type to be used as a replace member for this virtual disk."

if i attempt to assign it as a Global Hot Spare, it says "Physical Disk 0:1:2. This physical disk is not suitable to protect all current or potential virtual disks on this controller. Possible reasons include insufficient physical disk space, unsupported mix of SAS and SATA type physical disks, unsupported mix of SSD and HDD type physical disks, unsupported mix of 512Bytes and 4KBytes sector size physical disks, unsupported mix of PI capable and incapable disks and non-SED drive assigned as a GHS when encryption virtual disk is present. Continue with assigning as a global hot spare?"

OMSA logs say the physical disk is too small to be used for a rebuild but it is identical to the other drives in size. The only ohter odd thing in the OMSA log is " Controller event log: Unexpected sense: Encl PD 20 Path 5c0830e0e6a40d00, CDB: 1c 01 a0 00 04 00, Sense: 5/24/00: Controller 0 (PERC H710 Adapter)" - not sure what this means.

We only have one server so I can't keep rebooting and hoping it gets recognized. Can't find much online since the hardware is so old. Any advice would be welcome.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 4th, 2018 15:00

Hello

I suggest that you check the part numbers on your existing and new disks again. Everything is stating that the new disks are not the same as the old disks.

Thanks

October 5th, 2018 07:00

I have done that several times. We ordered 4 identical spare drives and I've already used one out of the batch - it has been working great for several months. Any other ideas?

No Events found!