Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2012 15:00

PowerEdge T620 conversion kit from rack mount to tower

Hi All,

So we made a mistake on our order from Dell for a PowerEdge T620 server.  We ordered the server as a rack mount when the customer needs a server to be in a tower configuration.  We need a kit or just simple part numbers that will allow us to put a cover on one side which would be the top once a tower and feet for the bottom on the server so it can stand off the floor a little.

We called ProSupport and Parts department for a part number for a top cover and for the feet and all we keep getting is sorry we don't offer that as a part.  Kind of frustrating when you can order a conversion kit to go from a tower to a rack mount but nothing for going from a rack mount back to a tower.  There has to be a part number so where some how.  Has anyone else experienced this if so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PC_Nate

• 

6.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 17:00

Hello PC_Nate

Top Cover: 8MP85
Caster kit(feet): T501M

Our internal documentation regarding the T620 is quite clear about not being able to convert after purchase. If you are able to make it work then please post back here to let other users know what was required. I'm sure someone else will want to do this.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 19:00

Also ... if within 21 days of the date of purchase, you can return and reorder the correct chassis.  Even outside of 21 days, you might be able to get your Sales Rep or Account Manager to do something for you.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 19:00

It has always been the case that parts are officially available for converting a tower to a rack server, as one may occasionally need the extra expandability of a tower chassis over the rackmount counterpart when used in a rackmount environment, but parts were not available to go the other direction, as that is why the tower exists.  It has been done, but finding the parts can be hard - the parts that Daniel listed would need to be orderable from Dell and/or available through suppliers for it to work.  Or ... those who have converted from rack to tower have typically bought the unused parts from someone on eBay (or the like) who has converted their tower to a rackmount and are selling off the swapped parts.  Even for 2800 and 2900 servers that have been around for a long time, these parts have always been hard to come by, so good luck.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2012 14:00

Here's what we had to do since we are resellers and for some strange reason we just simple can't return a product because we are in this category. This hasn't been an issue until now. With Dell-Daniels part numbers we were able to harass our Sales Rep in locating and ordering us the parts above.  It was a daunting task but anything can pay off with enough persistence I guess.

Thanks Daniel!

PC_Nate

1 Message

August 23rd, 2013 12:00

Hi Daniel,

i have the vice versa problem: I need a work around to convert a Dell T620 from Tower Configuration (which runs fine the last quarter Year) but the customer wants to save the Server in a Rack now. My Sales rep said that there is no way to reconfigure the server. I took a look in my T620 Tower which is prepared for the only thing is as i mentioned the front. Where can i get this conversion package?

Thank you. Kind regards,

Chris

• 

6.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hello Chris

The T620 was not intended to be switched between rack or tower after point of sale. The user's guide has instructions for installing a tower to rack conversion kit, but I don't show the kit is available for purchase.

The full conversion between rack and tower requires replacement of the control panel and some other items. The step-by-step procedure is in the user's guide: http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-t620_Owner's Manual_en-us.pdf

You should be able to install it into a rack without any additional components. If you remove the feet/casters and top cover you should be able to attach rails and insert it into a rack. The additional components for a full conversion provide for better air flow and easier access via the front VGA port. I don't show a full conversion kit available for purchase. These are the components of the kit I can locate in the parts database. I'm not sure if they are available for purchase:

288HP Control Panel Assembly for tower to rack conversion
X3TV1 Ear kit for tower to rack conversion

Thanks

1 Message

December 14th, 2014 19:00

Although an older post, I am also confronted with the same issue.

Due to changes within the company this server is installed in Rack storage is now available. as such I would like to install the T620 correctly.

Have Dell come released a coversion kit yet or has anyone come up with a solution to making the conversion possible?

Cueers

James

No Events found!