Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

6 Posts

September 4th, 2018 13:00

PowerRdge R300 missing virtual disk

I have a server poweredge r300 with a controller sas 6 and two disks in Raid 0, after several problems with the current provider one of the disks has been damaged and the other with bad sectors.

in this scenario I bought 2 new discs and wanted to replace the damaged one first and try to rebuild the raid with the disk that has bad sectors, with which the system is working now. And once this is done replace the disk with bad sectors with the other one.

The problem comes when for other reasons I had to restart the server, before receive the disks, and the sas controller reported an error 0x2, at this point the virtual disk disappeared and when I replace the damaged disk with the new one is detected, but the server try to boot from this new blank disk instead of rebuilding the virtual disk.

I understand that I would have to create a new virtual disk, but how can I do it without losing the data? The only way to get it "working" now is leave only the disk with bad sectors.

the damaged disk is the 0:0:0 and the working one with bad sectors is the 0:0:1

• 

6.2K Posts

September 4th, 2018 15:00

Hello

I don't think any recovery options are available with the SAS6iR. If the virtual disk has gone offline then a retag or force online would be your only options. If the virtual disk is detected as a foreign configuration then you can try to import. You cannot rebuild disks in a RAID 0.

I'm fairly certain the the SAS6iR forces a full initialization when you create a virtual disk, this is the reason you cannot retag. I doubt the controller supports the option to force a disk online either. You can try syncing or resyncing. The controller may be able to detect the virtual disk tags on the disk and bring it back online during the sync. You can find more information about the controller in the manual.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

If a sync does not work then you should contact a data recovery company to recover any data on the disks. Performing any operations, like a sync, in an attempt to bring a failed virtual disk back online have risk. If the data is important I suggest contacting a data recovery company instead of attempting to recover the data yourself.

Thanks

6 Posts

September 5th, 2018 00:00

Hello

For now I haven't lost data, the server is working, but only with one of the disks.

I have not found any foreign configuration, nor the virtual disk has been offline, it just gone. To make the sync I need to create a new virtual disk and I'm worried about not being able to recover the data later.

I was thinking of making an image of the working hard disk, with the Dell support Live image, changing the two discs with the new ones, create a new virtual disk and dump the image on the new virtual disk. I think if something goes wrong with this process i can delete the virtual disk, put the current working disk back, and get the server running again. 

but I don't know how the virtual disk could disappears like that?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 5th, 2018 08:00

I suggest that you review your configuration again. RAID 0 has no redundancy, if you have two drives in a RAID 0 and one drive fails or goes offline for any reason the virtual disk will fail. I don't think these drives are in a RAID 0 together.

I don't think the SLI has a disk imaging application. You could probably run one from SLI since it is just a CentOS distro.

Thanks

No Events found!