Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2010 17:00

Poweredge 1850 not recognizing mouse/keyboard

Hi folks,

I hope you can help me here. We just purchase two used Dell 1850 Poweredge servers (2x 3.6 2x 73GB, 4GB Raid 1, service tags:<ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy> ) in the aftermarket and everything seems to look fine until we try to install OS (Windows 2008) or using Dell's Installation utility. The mouse and keyboard become inoperable when we boot from DVD. This is happening on both the servers, so we think we are not doing things right.

I get "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" on first one and I get "Keyboard failure" on the other at the BIOS load time. However, keyboard works fine during the bios load and set up time. When we boot with DVD, the setup screen of the DVD loads properly, but we cannot do anything because the light on the keyboard and mouse go away and we can do anything.

I have searched the Web to find a few cases when people had this problems loading Linux, but I would appreciate if you can point me the right way.

Thanks for your kind attention.

WR, j

347 Posts

August 20th, 2010 13:00

you could try resetting the bios back to factory, when you get into the bios, go into the integrated devices, make note of the raid controller, its either set to scsi enabled or raid enabled. Then press Alt-F. which will reset all settings in the bios to their factory default. Then restore the raid setting to what it was. While you're in thebios, set the diskette drive to 3.5 inch or not installed if there really isnt one on the system. if there is a diskette drive, you might set it to off for now until this issue is resolved. Escape and then save and it will reboot. Which 2008 are you installing, R2 or non R2? Which version of the Dell install disc are you using, the latest is 6.3 (Link below)

an observation, I have seen where some KVMs will cause problems when the system is booted, and the keybrd is locked out and can cause stuck key failures. Sometimes you have to press the left cntrl key a few times to resolve this. Normally the system will emit the stuck key beep if this is happening.

Are you using a PS2 mouse and keybrd or USB?

Download the two ISO file segments to a new, empty folder and concatenate them. Create a single DVD image file using the following commands:
Windows: copy /b OM* OM_630_SMTD_A00.iso
Linux: cat OM* > OM_630_SMTD_A00.iso

3 Posts

August 31st, 2010 19:00

My bios is A04 and A05 on the two machines. These servers do not have floppy drives. I cannot upgrade bios because when I load the DELL OS Installer, the screen comes up but then I lose keyboard and mouse control. So I see the screen to upgrade firmware, but I cannot do anything.

I am using USB mouse and keyboard and I am installing Windows 2008 Enterprise 32 bit. I couldI try with PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse as I see the ports on the back of the server.

I am almost thinking that I need to pop a floppy drive in these servers so that I can boot from A: drive with updated BIOS installer that I downloaded from Dell.

Thanks for your note. Regards, -b

3 Posts

August 31st, 2010 19:00

Forgive my previous note. I was not doing the reset right. I just tried following exactly the same instructions one more time and resetting worked!!! Thanks so much. I should upgrade from BIOS right away!!! Regards, -b

No Events found!