Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2014 11:00

Poweredge 1900 issues

hi, 

ive just purchased a second hand poweredge 1900 but i cant seem to get it to boot with any display, it has the perc daughterboard with ram and battery backup,. also has 2x2gb fb dimm ram sticks installed and one cpu, but all i seem to get on boot is the fans spin up fully then slow down and stay that way for however long i leave it, i never get any display on a monitor nor any errors on the display (just solid blue light)

any help appreciated

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard (page 125):
http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-1900_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

If that doesn't work try reseating the processor.

Make sure to remove all unnecessary hardware - drives, controllers, expansion cards, mouse, keyboard.  Try it with only one DIMM installed, swap it to make sure memory is good.

Try the front VGA port too.

10 Posts

have unpluged everything already, clearing nvram doesn seem to of changed anything and ram ive tried every combination i can think of 

10 Posts

February 26th, 2014 12:00

anyway i can check video issue, if its just the onboard video died im not too worried 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The only test for video (if you don't already have an OS installed), is to try a PCIe video card ... if it still doesn't work, it is something else.  The problem with this is that, in general, servers don't support add-in graphics cards, so finding one that works can be pretty hit/miss.

10 Posts

yep and yep, ok ill go argue with seller then, its weird that all the other error reporting works perfectly as if i disconnect any fan it shows the error as does putting the cpu into the cpu2 slot (leaving cpu1 empty) 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Did you boot/power up with the jumper installed, then power down, replace jumper, then attempt to power on normally?

If neither VGA port works, and you have tried reseating the processor, ensuring you separated the heatsink and processor to reinstall it, then I'd say your MB is dead ... I'd talk to the seller.

10 Posts

yea ill be if i can find a x8 pcie card 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"its weird that all the other error reporting works perfectly" (and the blue 'status' light)

That is usually indicative of bad video or the processor needing reseated, but if neither work ...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

x1 will work in an x4/x8 slot and they are much easier to find.  Just be sure not to put it in the integrated storage slot, reserved for RAID controllers.

No Events found!