Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2011 14:00

Poweredge 1950 multibit memory error

Hi There

I'm having problems with a dell poweredge 1950. It has 4 memory models, 2gb each (8gb in total). When all 4 dimm are install the machine complains there is a multibit error on dimm 4.

If I shuffle the dimms around so that they are in a different order, it still complains about dimm 4. If I remove two of the dimm and run on half memory the error goes away. Also while only using 2 of the dimm, and have install them in different combinations to try and pin point the problem dimm, not no matter which dimms are install, while only running with 2 dimm the error does not occur.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be here?

Many Thanks

James

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 30th, 2011 15:00

Both of those would be affected by the Hardware Log.  Even if the error is 4 years old, if it is in the Hardware Log, it will cause the diagnostics to fail.  Check then Clear  your Hardware Logs in OMSA before doing anything, then re-run the diagnostics.

7 Posts

PS, just tried clearing the nvram, didn't help :-(

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I think it is pretty clear (although it may not be the answer you want to hear) that slot 4 is bad, as you have swapped the memory around, showing each memory stick is fine, but the error always occurs on slot 4.  It doesn't appear when only two are populated, because slot 4 isn't used.  Make sure the slot is free of dust, hair, or other particles ... if there is no change, don't use slot 4 (two memory modules) or get a new system board to fix.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

With this issue, it seems you have isolated the problem to the system board slot on DIMM 4.  Since you have tried different DIMMs in that slot and the error persists, the indication would be a slot problem.  Only suggestion I could make would be to clear the NVRAM and see if the error persists, if  not it would require a replacement system board to correct the DIMM slot memory issue you are having.

7 Posts

Thanks for you quick responce, thats what i was afraid of.

Is this kind of issue genuinely a problem? I mean is it likely its just the error reporting which is failing? The system its self seems to be running fine?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Generally, multi-bit errors cause system crashes, so if you haven't had any system crashes, then it may not be an issue.  It depends on where/how you get the message ... OpenManage, LCD panel, diagnostics, etc.?  You may try checking your Hardware Logs in OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) to see how many errors were logged and when they occurred, then try clearing the logs to see if it returns for real.  If the system seems to be working fine, then together with clearing the logs, you should update your system firmware (BIOS, ESM - and RAID, NIC, etc. while  you're at it), and update to the latest version of OMSA.  You might also test the memory independent from the OS/OMSA (after clearing the logs) by running MP Memory diagnostics on it.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Don't forget to update the rest of the system firmware (if you haven't already), as most are inter-dependent on certain versions of other devices.  ESM (this is actually the error reporting device), RAID, and NIC all likely need updating as well as BIOS.

I suspect it is an old log entry causing the error messages - if you can just get the log cleared, then you should get a better view of exactly what is going on.

7 Posts

Bios was 5 years old so that defiantly needed an update anyway, but hasn't help.

Just downloading OMSA now.

7 Posts

theflash, your a genius! Clearing the logs did indeed resolve the problem and made the go away. Big thanks to you, I was about to start pulling the motherboard apart.

7 Posts

I'm getting the error from Dell online diagnostics tool, and from the LCD panel. I will try some bios updates, and other memory tests and get back to you.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 30th, 2011 16:00

No genius ... just been there/done that enough times to recognize it :)  Glad you got it sorted.

No Events found!